On Sale

Pretend that's you on the cover

Part of Emily's job as an elementary school counselor is that every year she goes with the 6th graders on their Outdoor Ed trip. They need all the chaperones they can get, so it's her and the gym teacher, Ms. Schneider, the four 6th grade teachers, and the Assistant Principal, Mr. Townsend.

And of course, the school's thirty sixth graders. All in the woods. For a week.

It's a riot, but it's also a crazy time where crazy stuff happens and Emily's sure she's emotionally scarred from last year's trip where she accidentally walked in on Mr. Townsend in the outhouse taking his morning poop.

She hasn't really been able to look at him the same since.

Needless to say, it's an unpredictable time, and these are kids at an unpredictable age, so.

The week isn't always smooth sailing.

That's why Emily's in a Target in the middle of a town on the edge of nowhere.

See, Morris Keller and Gino Tariarti began wrestling, as 12 year old boys will, and before any of the chaperones noticed, the two had rolled themselves right into a patch of some kind of plant that had caused Morris to break out in a major rash.

And usually they were prepared for things like this.

But like she said, it's a hectic week and some people (cough, Mr. Townsend, cough) forgot to add the Cortizone to their first aid kit. And now Morris looks like he's growing lizard skin and he won't stop scratching.

Cue Emily and one of the 6th grade teachers, Mr. Baldwin, making an emergency trip to the closest town, and stopping at the first store with a pharmacy that they see, which happens to be this lovely Target.

Now, in general, Emily loves Target. There's just something calming and rejuvenating about being in a Target. And it's not just the AC she's feeling blasting from every direction on her sunburnt skin.

But this Target in particular, Emily decides. This is a good Target.

Because they have to pass the entertainment section on their way from the pharmacy to the checkout line, and as they pass the music section, right there on the end in the display rack, is her girlfriend's face.

Sure, Emily's seen Y/N's album about 8 billion times, and quite frankly there's about 10 physical copies of it just stacked up on the end table in their condo (Y/N started using the CD case as a coaster because she thinks it's hilarious), but it's still a jolt to see it like this, casually displayed and advertised in a Target some 3 hours away from home in the middle of a random town while she's on an emergency trip for rash cream.

She stops briefly as it catches her eye, Y/N's smoldering profile shrouded in artificial color.

It makes Emily's heart drop in her stomach.

She loves her girlfriend so much and she's so freaking proud of her!

"Well, all things considered, I guess you don't have to buy it," comes a voice from over her shoulder, and she's brought back into the moment when she sees Mr. Baldwin slow at her side.

She looks at him confused for a second, and he points to the little paper sign sticking out of the display rack next to Y/N's album. ON SALE NOW! BUY HERE!

"Oh," Emily says, frowning just a little.

Now, Emily has nothing against Mr. Baldwin. He's pretty nice and really good with the kids and ironically is not bald at all, but has super great hair. It's just that he's kind of condescending and also totally flirts with her, like, all the time, even after Ms. Schneider pointed out to him in the teacher's lounge one day that THE Y/N Y/L/N is currently Emily's girlfriend and very much in love with Goddard Elementary's resident school counselor, and Emily is very much in love with THE Y/N Y/L/N.

(Ms. Schneider is a lesbian and Emily's best friend at work and she is forever grateful for the gym teacher stepping in on her behalf and always having her back.)

Still, Mr. Baldwin is one of those unfortunate nice guys who pretends he isn't flirting but totally is and when you point it out he says he was just being friendly.

Emily doesn't hate those guys as much as she hates some other guys, but they're pretty dang annoying when you are, as previously stated, in love with THE Y/N Y/L/N. And THE Y/N Y/L/N is in love with you.

So for one second, Emily is annoyed. But Emily doesn't stay annoyed very long, and if that's how Mr. Baldwin here wants to play it, then fine.

She grabs the record that she has 10 other copies of at home right off the damn shelf and continues her march toward the checkout line. Then she pays for the Cortizone cream and one album by THE Y/N Y/L/N, HER girlfriend, GRAMMY NOMINATED BEST NEW ARTIST.

As they walk back to their vehicle, Mr. Baldwin is looking a little awkward and Emily is feeling majorly awkward, but she's also feeling extra majorly smug. She gets into the driver's seat and pulls the plastic wrap off the album before Mr. Baldwin even has a chance to buckle his seatbelt.

Then she puts the CD in the discplayer and skips to the fifth track, the one called "Emily in a Little Black Dress" and she turns the damn volume up.

There, she thinks, as they start the drive back to camp. Now this is what real flirting sounds like. And she turns the track up even more, the sound of her girlfriend's voice silencing any conversation that Mr. Baldwin might attempt to have with her on their twenty minute drive back to camp.