Until Death...Do Us Part? - ACT 2

The forced rehearsal was not unlike an execution from the days of the gallows: the prisoner, under guard, standing with an executioner, and the executor of the death warrant watching on. If he had the energy, Kogami might have laughed at himself for the morbid thought because his analogy was not far from wrong.

Director Nagano was a stern perfectionist and demanded the best possible performance from his players and tech crew. The slightest error was cause to scrap the scene and begin again from the top. What was promised to be an hour, stretched into an arduous 90 minutes. Throughout the grueling rehearsal, Kogami sat at the piano with Akane standing over him as he played the various numbers.

Watching on from the orchestra pit, Ginoza observed, occasionally stepping away to answer an alert on his wristcom. He was living up to the shepherd namesake given to MWPSB Inspectors, as he carefully organized the hounds and rallied them to their purpose. To keep the troupe safe from harm, Masaoka, Kagari, and Kunizaka patrolled backstage, the dressing rooms, and any adjoining area. The alerts came from them making quick, intermittent reports about the activity in their vicinity.

The music for Until Death...Do Us Part? had a complex foundation that required more concentration than Kogami had anticipated. Though he briefly studied the music beforehand, he initially found himself struggling to reach beyond the mechanics to the heart of the compositions. After playing the first few bars, those misgivings faded away, and he could not recall why he had hesitated. By the later bars, he wondered why he had any misgivings at all. Playing the music became second nature to him like slipping into a favorite pair of pajamas on a winter day.

The strangely familiar melodies comforted him. While he played, the misery of his cold was forgotten. Kazuya was a musical genius, as Nagano claimed, who had embedded his wit into the context of a story that was a scathing political rebuke on the surface, as well as powerful validation of a love fated to defy time and even death itself. As soon as he hit the final note, he experienced a profound regret and wanted nothing more than to hear the director's cue to go back to the beginning.

"Again, bravo, Mr. Kogami!" Director Nagano shouted. He stepped from behind the curtain and walked to the right side of the stage, which put him almost at eye level with the Enforcer. "Exceptional playing. I'm hiring a new piano player, if your interested. The Kurouma Theatre Company is in your debt." He bowed deeply to show his appreciation. "This is the first time that we have rehearsed and suffered no mishaps. Not even a light flickered." He smiled graciously. "Your coming was fortuitous. Perhaps your exceptional playing has broken the curse."

"Director Nagano," Ginoza said, glancing at his wristcom. "If your rehearsal is done, I would like for your company to begin leaving the building."

"As we agreed, Inspector." Nagano clapped his hands vigorously. "And that, people, is our cue! Be here tomorrow morning 8:00 sharp for a run-through!" Clasping his hands together, Nagano regarded Ginoza with a smile. "Fifteen minutes, Inspector, and the house and the entirety of this theater will be yours." He pointed to the MWPSB official. "And then you shall be the Director."

"Kunizaka," Ginoza said, "prep the surveillance equipment. Full scans. Masaoka and Kagari, sweep the backstage and dressing rooms again. Make certain everyone leaves the building."

Folding his hands in front of him, Director Nagano sank down on his haunches. "So, Mr. Kogami, what do you think of Kazuya's work?"

Kogami propped his weight on his elbows and leaned against the piano. Despite his usual inclination to be sullen, he smiled. "It was beautiful. If you were serious about needing a piano player, I'm sure Chief Kasei might oblige. Could be part of my ongoing stress therapy. At least until you find a replacement."