five - thank you

"allie, this is amazing." my boss, catharine gasps holding up my recent illustration for the children's book 'edwina and tiny'

the amount of accomplishment i felt when i saw my name, allowed me to feel happiness. i was always impressed by my artistic skills.

"i think you're heading towards a promotion." she smirks.

"seriously?" i drop my pen and see her nod.

"keep up this great work." she grins.

my job was an escape. an escape from kyle, an escape from that house. he only became physical with me four months ago, and each time he promised it'd be the last.

but it never was.

i continue sketching the next image for the next children's story, designing it's 3D layout on my computer.

a knock appears on my door, and i look up to see zoey, my co-worker. "hey, allie. someone delivered flowers for you."

i roll my eyes, another form of kyle's apologizes. "thanks, zoey."

"whoa, what happened to your cheek?" she asks, wide eyed.

"i fell down my stairs." i lie. "i know, i'm so clumsy."

she chuckles, "be more careful next time." she places the bouquet of orchids on my desk. they were beautiful, and smelt so fresh. i sigh and grab the card that's attached. allie was scribbled on the back of it, which was odd considering kyle never calls me that.

i slip the card out and open it,

i know you probably hate me even more than you did before, but i just wanted to tell you that i'm sorry for how i treated you last night. thank you for bringing me home safe, i shouldn't of drank that much and i should've respected your decision. i know you're engaged. i'm sorry, allie. thank you again.

p.s. i only know where you work because i saw your name on one of grayson's daughters books. you're an incredible illustrator. i'm glad you're doing well.

- ethan d.

i sigh heavily, sliding the card into it's envelope and into my desk.

i tuck the flowers into my back seat while i drove home. my hands were sweating the minute i pulled into the driveway and saw that kyle was home early.

i grab the flowers and slowly walk inside. "hello?"

"there's my gorgeous fiancé." kyle smiles, greeting me with a hug. "you have flowers?"

i shiver at his touch. "they're from work, a congratulatory gift for all my hard work." i lie.

"well that's sweet." kyle says, "let me find a vase."

kyle heads into the kitchen with the bouquet while i take my coat off. "i'll start dinner."

"i was actually thinking we'd go out. an apology for how things went down last night." kyle says softly, caressing my bruised cheek.

i gulp. "sure."

"go put on a dress." he tells me, "a nice dress."

i nod and walk past him, he grabs my arm and presses his lips against my forehead. "and cover the bruise."

i rip my arm out of his grip and head into the bedroom, i rummage through my clothes and find a black cocktail dress, i slip that on and conceal my cheek the best i can.