ten - too late

for some reason, i remembered ethan's address, grayson still scribbled it down onto a piece of paper for me, but i just knew what turns to take.

i stare up at the apartment building, my hands trembling. i didn't want to see him, but i needed to. i park my car and step out, i flatten out my shirt and hang my purse over my shoulder.

i walk up the stairs and remember his apartment number.

23B

my heart was racing at every step, but i knew i had to see him. i had so much to explain and apologize for. i reach his front door and my knuckles hesitantly make contact with it, knocking three times.

the thought of running skimmed my mind, but that was until the door opened.

a girl with dark brown raggedy hair opens the door in one of i suppose, ethan's white button up shirts. my heart sinks to my feet when i realize what i had just walked into.

a shirtless ethan sprints into the room, holding up a towel around his waist. "is the pizza here? i have the money."

the girl looks back at ethan the same time i do. ethan's eyes widen when he sees me, and the girl wiggles her eyebrows. "doesn't look like she has pizza to me."

ethan's jaw clenches and he chuckles. "you're right, she's probably just lost. sorry, wrong apartment." right as ethan was about to shut the door, the girl holds it open.

"ethan!" she gasps, slapping his chest. "why don't you come in? i'll go change."

the girl runs off, and ethan avoids eye contact with me. "you coming in or not?"

"is she your girlfriend?" i ask, bitterly.

"what the fuck is it to you?" he snaps back.

before i could walk away, she returns in a pair of track pants. tugging at my arm for me to come in. "don't listen to ethan, he doesn't associate well with strangers. come sit!"

she pulls me inside and motions me over to the couch. "wine?"

i smile sheepishly, knowing how angry ethan was. "sure, i could use a glass."

ethan rolls his eyes, walking away. the girl returns and smiles, "you look familiar, do you and ethan know each other from high school?"

i nod, "we were best friends."

"i think i've seen you in his year book before, what's your name?" she asks.

"allie, allie camillo."

"oh no way! you were his girlfriend." she slaps her knee. "he's told me about you."

my cheeks immediately flush. and i take a big sip of my wine. "yeah, that's me."

she smiles. "i think it's great that you and ethan can still remain as friends. we've been dating for three months, i'm surprised i haven't met you yet. although, i haven't even met his family yet so i guess there's no shocker there."

i almost choke, "three months?"

she nods, "and i guess he never told you about me?"

memories from last night begin reoccurring in my mind, he cheated on her.

"no, he hasn't." i say quietly.

ethan walks back out with a black hoodie and grey joggers, he plops himself onto the couch next to his girlfriend and smiles sarcastically at me.

"so what's your name?" i ask.

"my names amelia." she laughs, "sorry, i totally forgot to introduce myself."

she looks down at my hand and smiles, "oh, you're engaged."

ethan was about to answer "not anymor—"

until i cut him off.

"yes i am." i grin happily. "he's great. i love him so much."

ethan glares at me and i shrug.

our conversation lasted for hours, it sucks this amelia chick was so nice and innocent or else i would've bashed her head in already, and if she knew what ethan did to her, i would've beat him up too.

i had seven glasses of wine while i was there, and we were both crying of laughter at so many stories and jokes. it was hard to dislike her, and i could tell ethan was growing annoyed.

when three in the morning hit, she said she had to go, ethan called her an uber since she was also intoxicated while i was in the washroom. the room around me was spinning, but my anger was still present.

"you're a fucking dick." i slur, "how could you?"

he rolls his eyes. "shut the fuck up, you're drunk."

"sober enough to remember we fucked yesterday. how could you do that? you have a girlfriend ethan. you lied to me!" i scream.

"i didn't do shit to you. we're off and on all the fucking time, you left me. yesterday you just left me like a fucking idiot." he screams right back.

"that doesn't matter! she loves you ethan. you're playing with her!" i exclaim. "she's a nice girl."

he rolls his eyes. "well you're fucking playing with me! i love you, allie. i met her at a strip club and ever since then it's been complicated, i only want you allie."

"you know, i came back to apologize for yesterday, to say that i wanted to take things to slow with you. i went to fucking josie and grayson because i was so upset. i regret putting this much effort into you. you're the same dick you were back in high school when i left you. i don't know what i was thinking." i sigh, about to grab my purse.

"you don't fucking mean that. you're the fucking idiot getting married to an abusive asshole, so fuck off, allie." he scoffs.

"i'm not getting married anymore, dumbass! it was to piss you off!" i scream, "i want you ethan! but fuck you, it's too late now."

"no it isn't." his nostrils flare with anger before he grabs my waist and presses his lips against mine, hungrily.