twenty - a break

ethan's pov

"so what is it baby?" amelia asks, wrapping her arms around my shoulder.

i sigh uncomfortably, taking her arms off of me. "can we sit down for a second. this is important."

"what?" she asks. "do you not wanna go to jamaica anymore?"

i run my fingers through my hair and sigh. the coffee shop was quiet, only elders mingling over their muffins and biscuits. "actually let's go on a walk."

it was around 11pm, and i left allie asleep on the couch. we were watching some action movie, until she fell asleep so i decided to get up and leave, i knew i had to do this, i love allie, and even though i know amelia was a bitch, i still cared for her in a small way.

"what's going on?" she asks.

"there isn't an easy way to do this, i don't think there ever is. but i can't be with you anymore, amelia." i say softly.

she stopped in her tracks and looked at me, her eyes were already forming wet salty tears. my heart aches for her, but not in the same way that it would've if it was allie.

"y-you're breaking up with me?" she stutters.

i nod slowly, "look. i overheard you, i heard what you said to allie in the hospital, and i couldn't let that go past me. allie is the love of my life, amelia. since i was 17 years old."

"but ethan—"

"don't get me wrong amelia. i did have some type of love for you. you're a really beautiful, sweet and funny girl, which is why i don't doubt that you'll forget about me within a month and date someone new, but for me, i need allie and i'm going to do everything i can to get her back." i say, feeling my own throat tighten up.

"have you guys slept together? did you cheat on me?" she asks, now becoming angrier than upset.

i took a deep breath, and she got my answer. she covered her face in her hands, and sobbed. i frowned and pulled her in for a hug, which i'm shocked she actually enjoyed and hugged me back.

"i'm really sorry amelia." i say.

"i saw it coming." she laughs painfully, "i mean come on. allie is stunning, you two have chemistry. i would've had to be an idiot to assume you wouldn't catch feelings for her again."

i scratch the back of my neck, "i don't think i caught feelings for her again. they just never left."

i shake my head and erase what happened between amelia and i last night as i drove to the beach. i didn't want to think about anything or anyone right now. but allie was in my mind, like fucking always.

i parked, and got out. i watched the clouds turn orange, and then pink as i walked along the sand just wanting some sort of sign that i should either keep chasing her, or let her go.

down the beach, there was an ice cream truck with some kids. i continued to mind my own business until i saw a girl around 13 years old, sprinting my direction.

"ethan!" she exclaims.

it took my eyes a few minutes to adjust to her matured face.

"ava?"

"hey!" she smiles, "what's up?"

"i'm surprised you recognized me." i chuckle softly. "how's it going?"

"of course i'd recognize you. i'm good, you?" she asks, licking her strawberry cone. as she grew up, she was starting to look a bit more like allie.

"i'm alright." i lie. "what're you doing here?"

"i'm on a date." she grins.

i cross my arms over my chest and wiggle my eyebrows. "a date, huh? and who's the lucky boy?"

"surprisingly enough. toby, i had a crush on him since i was in like fifth grade." she chuckles, "he's right over there, so i don't want to keep him waiting. where's allie?"

"the mall." i reply.

"oh okay, well it was nice seeing you!" she smiles, wrapping her arm around my waist in order to give me a side hug.

i squeeze her a little and tell her to call me if toby gives her any problems. she laughed and ran back to him, causing me to continue my walk alone.

i was going to jersey in about two weeks because of my cousins wedding, and i was going to stay for two weeks also. i'm pretty sure josie and grayson are coming, and their bringing their little one along.

maybe this break was what i needed, to surround myself with family and friends and keeping myself occupied might help me think and work things out, because i'm not down to get my heart broken again, especially by allie.

she either makes me or breaks me.