epi - till death do us part

10 years later.
ethan's pov

"is she going to be okay, dad?" adam looked up at me with a trembling lip. his wife laila, by his side.

"of course she is." i stifled a smile. "do you know how strong your mom is. she's a fighter."

"how are you holding up dad?" noah asks me.

i shake my head. "it's not about me son. i'm doing just fine, why don't you boys go home."

"we aren't leaving you dad, you and mom need us." nevaeh sighs.

"no, we're fine. i'm going to stay here by your moms side, you two head home. it's okay, i'll give you boys a call sooner than later." i tell them.

i give my grown up sons, who were now men, and nevaeh who was now a woman, a hug goodbye. over the years i've had some back problems, but nothing compared to allie's constant battle with leukaemia.

i slowly enter allie's hospital room where i see her fragile body resting underneath blankets, with needles poked in her arms. my heart broke everyday, watching her fight this.

i sat down next to my wife, and grabbed her weak hands. gently giving them a kiss, before i feel her adjust. "hey, handsome."

"you're awake." i grin.

she nods, her hair was no longer on her head. all of her chemo treatments made her lose her hair, but who knew god could've made her look even more beautiful, while so sick?

"how do i look?" she asks with a choke, brushing her fingers against her bald scalp.

"gorgeous." i remind her, taking her hand away from her head.

she gulps down a dry swallow and looks at me. "how are the boys, and nevaeh?"

"they're doing just fine. they were just here, but i told them to go home. they've had a long day." i tell her, playing with the rings on her finger, or should i say her wedding ring.

"i miss you." i say softly.

"i miss you too. come lay with me." she whispers, groaning as she moves over.

i sigh, lifting myself up to lay next to her. she cuddles herself in the crook of my neck and traces circles against my chest.

"i don't think i'm going to make it." she whispers.

"don't say that, allie. come on." i retort.

"it hurts too much." she sighs, squeezing my hands.

"you have me to fight for, you have our children. you can't leave us yet, baby." i tell her, pressing my lips against her scalp.

"i know, i'm trying my hardest." she grunts.

"have i ever told you how much i love you?" i ask, listening to her heart rate on the monitor.

"only every day." she chuckles painfully.

"have i ever told you?" she asks.

i take a moment to think. "yes."

"can i do it one last time?" she asks.

i frown. "hey, nobody says this is going to be the last time—"

"shhh, let me just tell you." she interrupts me.