14

The next few days are pretty easy at the Scrapyard. Spring teaches me the fundamentals. Like blocking and dodging and that kind of stuff.

"But Spring," I start, "Just because I know how to fight doesn't make me tough. Maybe physicaly but not mentally."

He smiles at me.

"I was just getting to that. I think it's about time that I teach you the rules to surviving in here." he says getting a bit more serious. He kneels down and grabs my shoulders gently.

"You have to listen to me very carefully..."

"I'm listening."

"Number one, never get too attached to anybody."

"But Spring...I got attached to you...." I say.

"Just listen for now...number two, never let you're guard down. Number three, never let them get to you. Number four, always steal food. Number five, never cry. Number six, always take care of each other."

I take mental note of his rules.

"And lastly, always remember to take care of your family..." he says looking me dead in the eyes.

"But Spring you're the only family I have left."

"Don't you ever say that again! You may think it's just you and I in this, but you're wrong. You've got Leah, Mitch, Timmy, Tammy, Alex and I. We're your family. Understand?"

He's never been that serious with me. I nod my head and say

"I understand..."

"It's our job to protect you and your job to protect us. We'll always be there for you even in the darkest of times." He says.

He sounds so serious.  This must mean a lot to him. I hold up my right hand and say

"I solemnly swear that I will always protect my family and that I will help them even in the darkest of times. I solemnly swear to help them even when I need help."

He smiles at me.

"Family is the  most important thing we have. We must cherish it," He says staring off into the distance, "A friend told me that once..."

I nudge him suggestively.

"A boyfriend??"

He playfully shoves me.

"Shut up!"