prologue

I tapped my fingertips against the shabby wooden table, humming along to the tune in my headphones. It was around eleven pm here in jersey, and with the dark night sky surrounding the town's most quiet diner, I had nothing better to do than sit here, almost every single night.

I found myself doing this almost every night, although tonight I nearly bailed. I simply put on a pair of jeans and a hoodie, throw my dark brown hair up into a messy bun, and walk down to this place. It was an unpopular diner, but one of my personal favourites. The food was great, so were the staff, but since I lived in the almost isolated part of town, it was always empty.

I stared up at the retro decor in awe, something so simple yet so fascinating. I wanted more adventure in my life. I wanted to be able to do whatever I pleased and enjoy doing it, so that one day, I could wish I was living as an eighteen year old again.
But for me, life is shit.

My mom got into drinking when I was eight, heavily. It all started when my dad left us, she became miserable, depressed, in fact. And just to make things worse, when I was twelve, she gave birth to my baby sister, Arli, who's father was a man she didn't know, and couldn't even remember the name of.
Arli. Yeah, I know, strange name... but strange parent, right?
With having to look after the two of them, I was slowly but surely giving up. I owned my own flat down the road from their house so that I could easily check up on my mom, but as time went on, I found myself checking up on my family less and less.The only person I cared to see was Arli, who came to my house every so often with my grandma, who she was now living with. I'd also trained to become a hairdresser and gotten a job in my local barbers, with not the best pay, but enough to keep me going. It was all one big mess, and I was really craving some fun, anything to keep my mind off of it.

Anything. I would take anything.
So when the brown haired boy approached me in the diner that night, I took it in an instant.