eight

I turned to the side slightly as I drove, sighing when I saw Grant, with his head leaned against the window, staring out at it.
His eyes were glossy, they had been since he told me about his brother.
Without even hesitating I took one hand off the wheel, grabbing his from his leg and intertwining our fingers. The sudden feeling made Grant look down at our hands, his eyes travelling up to my own. A small smile curved up onto his lips as he brought our hands back down to his leg, resting them there. I was loving this way too much, I was loving him, way too much. It's been three days, Sydney, stop it.
The butterflies in my tummy only grew more when he brought my hand to his lips, my breath hitching in my throat when he pressed them against the back of my hand lightly. I felt the blush rising to my cheeks as I looked back out at the road with a smile, Grant turning to look out of the window with a grin growing too.
That was until he turned back towards me, letting out an unsure breath.
" is now a good time to tell you that my name isn't actually Grant? "
His words startled me, my eyes narrowing and my eyebrows furrowing. Before I could even get a word in, he'd spoken up again.
" Grant is my middle name, my real name is uh, it's Ethan " I could tell he was being serious, something which made me confused.
I wasn't annoyed, however. Some people don't like their names, so maybe that was the case.
" Ethan " I tested it out, listening to see how it would roll off of my tongue, " Fuck, this is going to take some getting used to "
Ethan laughed, shrugging his shoulders.
" why didn't you tell me sooner? " I laughed, finding it quite odd.
The guilt filled look on Gra-Ethan's face came back as soon as I asked, a cough coming from the boy before he opened his mouth to speak.
" I don't know, I guess I just wanted a change " He began, shrugging his shoulders as he muttered the rest under his breath " a fresh start "