one

ethan's pov.

I found myself running down the street, stumbling over my own feet and gasping for air. This was about the most adventurous and dangerous thing I'd done since I was sixteen, and I'd been waiting to do it for two years.

I stopped abruptly when I saw the faint red lights of a diner, a small smile growing across my face when I remembered the days I spent here. The days I spent here with my brother. If only he could see me back here now.

The bell rang as I entered, the familiar, yet unfamiliar smell lingering in the air as I pulled the hood over my head. My heart was beating in my chest heavily as I waited at the counter top, ordering myself the latte I knew and loved, for one last time.
I didn't have time to scan the menu for anything else, I needed something short and sweet, quick and to the point.

" here you go, sir. have a great night " The lady smiled, staring me down as if I were someone she'd picked up from the street, because of my long hair, excessive stubble, and the mud that was on my arms, and cheek.
She'd always worked here. I knew she recognised me, from the amount of times she'd talk to my brother and I when we stopped by, ruffling our hair and telling us that we were sweet boys. Those were the days. But they were long, long gone.
Before she could point out that she thought she knew me, I placed a five dollar bill against the counter, turning on my heel to head out the door. This was all I came for after all, something to keep me warm until I did what I had to do. I couldn't stay here forever, as much as I wished I could.
" thanks, sweetie! see you tomorrow! " The voice of the lady behind the counter rang in my ears, making me furrow my eyebrows.
Was she talking to me?
My eyes followed hers and landed on a small girl, her long dark hair cascading down her back, landing just above her curvy hips. I found myself watching her intently as she made her way out of the small booth she was once sat at, her eyes meeting mine shortly before she looked back towards the door. The second I saw her, I recognised her, just the sight of her making my heart skip a beat. That's something that hasn't changed, over the past two years.
I pictured the girl sat at the back of the diner while my brother and I would joke around with one another at a table, or even sip on smoothies just the two of us. I remembered a book always being clutched tightly in her hand, her bright green eyes scanning across each and every letter and word, in a world of her own. I'd never forget those beautiful eyes.

With that thought in my mind, I couldn't even stop myself before I'd followed her out of the diner, my footsteps loud and heavy compared to hers. I could sense her fear as I followed, probably noticing my presence long ago, the second I laid eyes on her. She was always my secret escape, maybe she could be now.