nineteen

I let out a breath, my eyes fluttering closed as I took in the fresh air. The second they opened I was greeted with the gorgeous dandelion's, the same one's Ethan and I lay in often.
" I'm scared " I broke the silence, the breeze blowing through my hair, sending a shiver down my spine.
Ethan brushed his hands through it, my head resting against his chest as I listened to the soothing sound of his heart, and payed attention to the rhythm at which his chest moved up and down. It was extremely calming, and so I squeezed him that little bit tighter.
" me too " He responded, yet even more
silence following.
It was interrupted when Ethan stood up, bringing me to my feet with him. He had my hands in his, and the corners of his lips were curving upwards slightly.
" just imagine a song's playing, alright? " He chuckled, his hands sliding up to my waist, while I draped my arms over his shoulders.
He slowly began to sway from side to side, his eyes staring into mine deeply.
" I never got to go to prom " He mumbled, his words quiet, as he didn't want to break the comfortable level of volume.
I smiled lightly to myself, wondering why he missed it. But the image of Ethan and his brother being bullied quickly came back to mind, answering my questions. He probably missed it because of the bullies, I thought.
But I was so wrong.
" neither did I " I told him truthfully, shrugging my shoulders.
The boy stopped dead in his tracks, his arms dropping to his sides and his jaw nearly touching the floor in shock.
" what? " I raised an eyebrow, letting out an amused breath.
Ethan was in disbelief, as he shook his head, running a hand through his hair.
" I just always thought guys would be on their hands and knees begging to take you to prom... I mean, look at you! " He explained, his words sincere, but so far off.
Nevertheless, he made me blush, something Ethan had always, and will always, manage to do to me.
" that's inaccurate. I actually didn't go because I was in a shitty place at the time because of my mom, and all of my friends had dates, and I didn't " I corrected him, watching the shimmer in his eyes grow.
Ethan let out a sigh, his hand being placed back onto my waist once again as he moved closer to me.
" well, you have a date now " Ethan began, his words making a smile break out onto my face.
" will you make me the happiest man, and be my date to our very own little prom, here on this very field, Sydney Brooke? " Ethan said proudly, returning to the dancing position.
I giggled at his enthusiasm, nodding my head with a grin. It was an adorable gesture, and it made my heart pound happily.
" I'd love to " I told him, watching him smile back just as big, holding his arm in the air and twirling me around.
When I came back to his chest, he pulled me up against him, his hands resting protectively on my waist. He stared down at me admiringly, whilst I did the exact same for him. He took a few seconds before leaning in, his lips connecting with mine, slowly and passionately.
As soon as he did so, my worries washed away like soap, although they'd come flooding back, twice as hard.

The two of us knew deep down what was happening, we knew that if I were to take a test, those results would come out positive. We just didn't want to believe it.
What we didn't know, however, were the set of eyes watching us dance on the field. A set of eyes that could ruin everything by the flick of a switch.