seventeen

Ethan jumped up from the sofa in panic when a knock on my front door was heard, my eyes wondering to his. They instantly only showed pure panic and worry, so with that, I took him to the kitchen.
" Sydney! It's me! " The sound of a squeaky voice sounded from behind the front door, making my eyebrows furrow.
I quickly realised who it was, a sigh of relief escaping both mine and Ethan's lips.
" it's my sister. Just stay in here " I informed him, leaving him in my kitchen alone before rushing to the door.
The second I opened it my little sister jumped into my arms, a childish shriek of joy echoing throughout the flat. I giggled nervously, bending down to her level once I realised that she was alone.
" how did you get here? where's grandma? " I asked the little girl, removing the strands of blonde hair from the adorable girl's face.
" I walked, and she's at home! " She giggled, grinning like a fool.
I closed the front door and locked it again, Arli's eyes fixated on me as I did so.
" you're six, not sixteen! does grandma know you're here? " I nearly yelled in amusement, shocked that she even knew where I lived.
It was only down the road, and I was guessing she'd seen my grandma come here before. The kid sure does have good memory for a six year old, that's all.
Before she could even answer my question, her eyes had drifted to behind me. I instantly turned around, my eyes wide when I saw Ethan, stood with a small but nervous smile on his face. I gave him a glare, thinking that the boy was as stupid as could be, since he had been in hiding for the past week, or longer.
" who's that? " Arli squealed, walking past me and towards the boy, who crouched down in front of her and held out his hand.
I stood up, folding my arms across my chest with a raised eyebrow. What the fuck was he doing?
" I'm Ethan. I'm guessing you're Arli... Sydney always tells me about you " He grinned, a giggle leaving the child's lips.
" you're good at keeping secrets, right? " He went on, talking in a much slower, slightly more high pitched and cute, voice.
I smiled to myself, seeing how soft he was being with my little sister made my heart melt.

In all honesty, the girl was good at keeping secrets. I'd tell her countless things, and she'd either forget them, or just not say a word. She was trustworthy and extremely loyal, two of the things I loved about her most.
" then will you do do me a favour, Arli? " He chuckled, my little sister eagerly nodding her head at her new friend.
Kids are kids, they become obsessed with certain people quicker than you can blink.
" don't tell anyone that I'm here, okay? It can be our little secret " He grinned, holding out his pinky.
I covered my mouth to hold in my laugh, folding my lips into a straight line as I watched the pair in awe.
" I promise " She told him, embracing Ethan in a hug afterwards.
I headed towards them, changing over on the tv and putting on moana. Arli loved that movie, and since she was here, I thought that we may as well spend some time with her.

An hour had gone by, and I'd messaged my grandma to let her know that Arli was safe, and that she was at my flat. I'd told her that I'd drop her off once we'd finished the movie, which was about to come to an end.
" so, are you sydney's boyfriend? " Arli's cheeky voice snapped me out of my trance, my eyes instantly meeting with Ethan's.
How on earth was he meant to answer that?
He smiled at me, turning to my sister who had her head resting on his arm. She was bestfriends with Ethan already, just the way she spoke to him was adorable, and the way he spoke to her. He was good with kids.
" yeah. I am, actually " Ethan's words shocked me, though they made me blush instantly, tucking the stand of hair that was dangling in front of my face behind my ear.
Just as I thought he couldn't get any more cute, he leaned close to her ear, whispering something. Whatever it was, it brought a smile to her lips, the girl clapping her hands happily.
Before I could even say anything, my sister had repeated Ethan's actions from before, holding her pinky out for a pinky promise.
" I won't tell " She giggled, Ethan's head nodding up and down, a cheesy grin on his face. What did he whisper to her?

The two of us spent the rest of the movie chasing Arli around the flat, playing with my little sister freely. I loved her with all of my heart, and I knew that I loved Ethan too.
So, fucking, much.