Fancy Seeing You Here

Echo leaned her body against the wall of the office in the Institute while Luke sat in the chair in front of the Inquisitor. Echo was occupying her thoughts by biting at her thumbnail. She looked down at Luke as he looked up at the Inquisitor.

"Are you questioning me or are you accusing me?"

"A week ago, you demanded the destruction of the Soul Sword. A demand which, of course, is impossible to even consider. Which leads me to wonder, was this killing an act of revenge on the Clave?" Herondale's words were slow but jarring.

Luke let out a scoff, "You think that I would murder a Shadowhunter?"

"We all know about your temper, Lucian." The Inquisitor's words never faltered.

From beside Echo, Alec leaned into Jace. Echo looked up at Alec but didn't move.

"Does she really think Luke did this?" Alec's words were low, but Echo could hear them clearly.

"Take my DNA. Test it against your evidence. I'm not your wolf." Luke wasn't afraid, "And if anyone in my pack did it, I'll kill them myself."

There was a moment of silence, but it wasn't at all silent. The Inquisitor and Luke kept eye contact for another few moments until Herondale shifted her head and looked to another Shadowhunter, "Take him down to the lab."

Luke let out a silent breath as he pushed himself from the chair. Luke was the first one out of the room and Echo was the last, leaving Jace with his Grandmother. Echo didn't wait around to hear what the two would talk about; she instead lingered in the hallway as Alec took Luke to get his DNA tested.

Echo kept her thumbnail in her teeth as she paced the hallways of the institute. Her thoughts were occupied to the event that had happened without the knowledge of either Shadowhunter knowing. She retraced her steps from the past few days trying to figure out if she had been spelled or if an illusion had taken place. The only thing in her mind was the fact that she went to sleep the previous day and woke up next to Alec. There was a hole in her memory. A hole, which only held words. Words she recognized. For what you want, you will receive.

The words were loud in her mind, but she didn't know the source of them. She knew she recognized them, but from where, she did not know.

"Echo."

Echo pulled out of her thoughts with a shake of her head and looked up at the person calling her name. It was Jace.

"Yeah? What?"

Jace strode up to her, "You okay? You seem a bit distracted."

Echo's face contorted, obviously hiding her lie, "I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be fine?" Echo's words were quick and out of character. She mentally kicked herself.

It was easy for Jace to notice the tone, but he went along with her, "Just making sure you are okay. Have you seen Alec?"

Echo swallowed, "He went with Luke, but he's in the control room now."

Jace gave a small smile, "Thanks."

The Shadowhunter went to walk away, but Echo stopped him with a question, "Do you..." She paused as Jace turned to her. Echo quickly shook her head, dismissing her question, "Never mind." Echo ducked her head and quickly walked down the opposite end of the hallway, but Jace was quick to catch up with her steps.

"Hey, you know you can ask me anything, right?"

Echo kept her eyes down, "Yeah, I know. But it's nothing. Don't worry about it."