(1.6)

When you fall or trip or slip, you will eventually, in a second or two, hit the ground. It was a law of physics, the role of gravity. I was falling, but this was a different kind of fall that doesn't leave you with bruised knees and the heels of your hands scraped.

I was falling in love. I was falling in love with Phil so effortlessly, and a bit more every day. From the constant texting to the long two hour phone calls that quickly increased to three hours, then four and five, and once, even six. They left me with tired eyes and a lack of concentration the next day but a happy heart and a smile on my face.

Phil was so endlessly fascinating. From the way he ticked and what useless yet interesting facts he kept in his head and blurted out when the conversation turned quiet, I never once sighed out of boredom listening to him speak. I had 18 years of his life to catch up on, and while I was desperate to find out as much as I could, there wasn't really any hurry as I liked to think I would be spending the rest of my life with him by my side and had all the time in the world to find out everything in our own time and then make our own memories.

When I was back at school the next week, I grew jealous of everyone else in my year group as it seemed to be that they had all been paired up with each other. Couples holding hands and laughing with their other halves made me miss Phil more than I had the night before. Knowing he wasn't in arm's reach made it difficult for us be apart when everyone else was together and I was yearning for his company.

"What're you smiling at?" Damion asked me, peering curiously at my phone.

"Phil," I answered him, not looking up from my phone. Just his name leaving my mouth was enough to leave me blushing and butterflies in my stomach. My face ached from smiling so much at thought of Phil and texting Phil and Phil and only Phil - my sunshine that had brightened my entire life and left no darkness.

He was at work in the middle of a long shift but he was expressing his excitement to me after finding lion cereal to which he said: "it was made especially for me!"

"Oh," Damian replied, the tiniest hint of jealously in his voice.

"How is it with Taylor?" I finished typing my reply to Phil and tapped 'Send' and put my phone in my pocket which was on silent but vibration mode and looked at Damian, pretending to look the slightest bit interested in his love life.

"Uh. Awkward. But okay, I guess. We're sneaking off school grounds and going into town for lunch."

"That's a start," I shrugged.

"I suppose. Could be better. What about you and Phil?"

"He's so amazing," I gushed and shut my mouth before I went into a long talk about everything I had learnt about him and what he was like and what he looked like. He got the message that it wasn't the greatest idea to let me expand on the subject and just nodded, packing up our table as the lunch bell went.

'Are you free to talk? X' I sent to Phil. Texting him was one thing, but I wanted to hear the sound of his voice and his laughter. I grimaced at my own thoughts, knowing I was turning into a cringey, love-sick teenage boy, but I was relishing in it, loving how Phil made me feel.

-

When the last bell rang to signal the end of the day, I texted my mum to tell her I'd be home late and went to the nearest station, catching a tube into Zone 3. It took me right into the centre and I walked to the stationary store, smiling as I passed the place I had first laid my eyes on Phil.

The store had a high ceiling that enabled it to have an upstairs area too. The aisles on the ground floor were long but colourful with pens and folders and different sized card. I wandered up and down them, every now and again passing a bored-looking employee, but Phil was nowhere to be seen so I went up the steps to the first floor.