CHAPTER TWO: FIRST DAY

The next day Ally drove me to school. We waited in the car line. Many teachers were moving their hands tellings us to move as if we didn't know that. It was almost time for me to get out of the car. I held my backpack in my hands, staring at my new school. Many people my age where walking about. Going to classes. Laughing. Normally shit. I wondered if it would ever be normal for me. I fussed with my grey sweater. I wore a long black dress with many colored flower designs on it, a grey sweater, and a grey beanie to top it off with my hair in a side braid.

"Alright. This is your stop." Ally said and I turned to her. "Good luck."

"You too." I said. She gave a smile as I left the car, closing the door. Her car drove away as I looked at the large building in front of me. I breathed in deeply. First day. New school. New life. Just great. I walked up the steps, eyeing people as I past. Some people glanced my way, not recognizing me but I didn't care. Really I just wanted this day to end. So, I walked on, finding my classes on my own.

The classes themselves were boring. The teachers dull. The only good thing about this place is that I saw some kids smoking. So, I decided to take the chance to light one. I walked on the patio, inhaling the smoke and exhaling it in front of me. I felt my boots click under me as I tried to find my next class. I looked around. I had to admit the school was pretty cool. There were many trees and the sun shone down all the time. It was a nice touch.

I was used to the Maine weather. It was true, sometimes it was sunny, but most of it was dark. Gloomy. But I had loved it. I had called it home. The darkness in the day and fog in the sky had always made me stare in wonder. It was a beauty for me, the darkness. No matter how strange it seemed. I remembered my house. I remembered my family. I pushed that thought away. That was gone now. All of it was gone. I just had to deal with it.

As I walked I past a group of girls talking. The girl in the middle suddenly looked at me and murderous look came across her face. She started to leave her group, walking to me. I rose a brow, not being intimidated by this flat faced girl.

"What the hell are you doing?" She yelled.

"Walking?" I reply sarcastically.

"Student council passed a rule against smoking in public spaces."

"Oh. Sorry. Didn't know." I said and flicked it to the ground. I stepped on it and she gasped in anger.

"What the hell is wrong with you!" She yelled once more, gaining the attention of a few students.

"What? You said no smoking so I put it out." I explain.

"People sit here, they eat here!"

"Hey I'm sorry ok? What did I ever do to you?" One of her friends came to next to her.

" Leah's grandmother died of lung cancer She takes this stuff pretty seriously." She explained.

"I'm sorry about your grandmother but just let it go. Alright?" I say, taking a step back.

"Let it go!" The girl named Leah screamed. She suddenly bent down and picked up my cigarette. "Eat it!"

"What?"

"Eat it or I'm gonna kick the shit out of you!"

"No. I'm not gonna eat that."

"Did you not just hear me! Eat it or I'm going to fuck you up!" She screamed. She suddenly took ahold of my hair, trying to shove the cigarette into my mouth. I could still feel the heat of it from here. So I acted on instinct. I threw out my foot. My foot kicked her in my stomach and she fell back. I took my chance to run. I looked behind me to see Leah's friends holding her back.

"You are dead! You are so dead!" She screamed in fury. I smiled a bit as I walked away.

"What a wonderful way to come to a new school."

I took the bus home. Many people looked at me and whispered. Finally as I sat down and girl looked at me.

"Hey. Aren't you the kid who stood up to Leah?" She asked and I raised a brow.

"I didn't stand up to anyone." I answered.

"Sure looked like it." A boy said. They turned away and I thought about what they said. I wonder where this was going.