CHAPTER THIRTEEN: NEIGHBOR

Some people think I'm crazy. I was called it a lot back at my old school. I was the type to stay away from people. Keep to myself. I guess I wore black a little too much. And sometimes I would stare off into space and accidently stare at someone for a while. People thought I was a witch. For real. An actual witch. Spells and all that shit. They were afraid of me. And as everyone knows, people turn fear into something else. Making fun of people.

I was the main center of making fun of people. The freak of the school. I would be attacked verbally and physically. What Leah and her friends did were nothing compared to the other place. That is the only reason I am giving this place a chance. Because back there was shitty. Maybe even a little shitter than here. I can't determine that though yet.

I pondered my latest discussion with Tate. Don't believe in ghosts? I had never really thought about it. But now that I did it kind of sounded like a silly thought. Ghosts? No. There was no such thing. People just made it up to stamp it over the unknown. Something crashed in the kitchen? A ghost did it. People made them up to blame for things they did themselves. Ghosts were not real. End of discussion.

But something was wrong with this house. Ghost stories or not. Tate's story wasn't enough to fully give any information on this place. But someone did. I thought about it. I could if I wanted. Ally was here but it wasn't like she would notice. Even if she did I would tell her I was going on my bike. So, I decided to leave my room. I went down stairs. I looked to my left then my right. Ally was nowhere in sight.

I went outside. Stepping down the small little steps, I looked around. Constance. Which house did she live in? She came from...this way last time. Taking a right, I went to the next house over. I went up to her door. I took a deep breath in then I knocked three times. I waited for about two seconds before someone answered the door. It was that girl with the strange smile. She narrowed my eyes at me.

"What are you doing here?" She snapped.

"Oh. I'm sorry I guess I have the wrong-" I cut myself off when I saw the blonde women come into my line of view.

"Addie. Don't answer the door. You know that." Constance said before looking at me with a smile. "Hello. What can I do for you?" I connected the pieces together. This girl was her daughter.

"I um, the last time we met, you...implied, there was something wrong with the house." I say, trying to find the right way to put it. She nods.

"I see. Come in." She says and opens the door wide enough for me to walk in. The place was nice. It had to smell of when you stayed at your grandparents house. The decor was very nice as well but not really my style. Constance led me into the kitchen with her daughter and told me to sit down. I sat down in a chair, placing my hands on the table.

"Would you like any tea, coffee? Anything like that?" She asked, her accent coming out. I nodded.

"Coffee, please." I said. She nodded. Constance turned around while Addie sat in front of me, staring into my soul. I swallowed. "So. You want to ask about the house?" I cleared my throat.

"Yes." I answer.

"Ask away."

"Well." I start. "You have lived next to this house for a while I presume." She let out a laugh.

"Honey, yes. I also lived in that house." She said and I lift my eyebrows in surprise.

"Really?"

"Yes." She said and turned around, setting a cup of coffee in front of me. Sitting as well. I nodded, absorbing the information.

"Did you ever...feel like something is wrong about that house?" I ask. Addie suddenly slams a hand on the table.

"Everyone dies there! Of course it's wrong!" She shouts and Constance growls at her.

"Adelaide!" She yelled and Addie looked at her. "Go to your room! Now!" Addie huffed, obviously angry. She gave me a look before stomping off from the table, her chair scotting back. I looked back at Constance. She shook her head. "I love her to death...but sometimes I just want to strangle her." She muttered before concentrating on me. She smiled. "I'm sorry. Continue." I thought of how to say it.

"I feel like something about that house is off. I know it sounds crazy but I just get a strange vibe from it. Someone told me it has to do with ghost but I don't believe that. You said you lived there. Did you ever get that feeling?" I ask. She is quiet, stirring her coffee for a long moment before giving a small laugh, barely above a whisper.

"You have no idea." She says.

"So it's just not me?" I say. I was startled. Someone else felt what I felt. Something was wrong with that house. "Can you...tell me about it?"

"Darling, if I told you all I knew you would be scared for life." She says and sits up straighter, looking me in the eye. "Things have gone in that house that will never be explained. I know a lot that has happened. Being one of the people myself. But I don't think you ready for that kind of information yet." I did a double take. Not ready?

"What does that mean?" I ask.

"You'll know in time." She says and I lean back in my seat.

"So your just not going to tell me anything?" I ask and she nods, bringing the coffee to her lips. Well, this was a waste of time. I stand up. "Thank you for the coffee, but I better get home now." I was about to walk out when I heard her speak.

"Be careful in there." She said and I turned to her. She was looking at me. "Those words can save your life." She then lifted her coffee to me and I turned, walking out the front door.