Chapter Two - I

Chapter Two

I

Last night's show was risky. We were in an incredibly dangerous situation and it's breakfast now. I have been awake for hours; super worried... What if Joker is seriously hurt? It would have been my fault! After all, he did it to protect me! I feel awful as the hours drag on. I tossed and turned in my sleep and I tried to leave my tent but the gatekeepers, Mark and Yuriah, were on patrol during the night, looking for the man who shot at Joker and I... I think about him more seriously now... Joker... I know his real name is Ryan, but what's his last name? His story? He's been my accompanying act for these past three years, and the total of things i know on him is small... I know everybody except the boy who risked himself for me... Once he wakes up i'm going to try to get to know him better... I hope he doesn't mind my company.... But just as I am thinking about him I hear his voice outside the courtyard, light and friendly.Everyone has been practicing in our high-top tent but I've been on the bleachers that hug the sides of the tent, still there from three years ago when we were sold here. I would have been practicing, but Joker is needed in order for me to perform and practice.

"Try to keep yourself out of danger, alright?" Yuriah's voice jokes from outside.

"Hey man, I did it to protect Marionette. It was worth it." Joker laughs back, his voice underlined with drowsiness. I can't make out the next thing that Yuriah says but Joker laughs at it and he walks in. I turn my head to look at him and so does everyone else. The little highnesses jump up and run towards him, smiling and yelling, and hug him. Callie and Beast get up to hug him too, and go back to practicing and when he gets closer to me, I stand up, and hesitantly hug him.

"Thank you for doing that last night." I get out before I let go and when I move back he's smiling wide at me... His makeup is smeared and his blond hair is sticking up in all directions.

"If it kept you safe Marly, it was worth it." He says and I am taken by surprise... I'm not often called by my real name. It's almost taken as a casualty to be Marionette or Mari, meanwhile being called by your real name, is being almost too formal, as if you know us beyond the torture we've endured here... But that's a story for a different time....

"I... Thank you Joker... Are you feeling okay?" I ask, concern melting onto my face. I can actually see the tension release from Joker's shoulders... I hadn't noticed it a moment ago....

"Yeah, I think I'm well Marionette... Thank you." He tells me and I nod, surprised.

"Of course." He says and before I can say anything more, Nick walks up behind me.

"Thanks for protecting her; but I still don't like you." Nick says and I look in between them surprised. Joker lazily smiles, drowsiness still clinging to him and he nods.

"Yeah, I know knife-thrower... But she doesn't have a crush on you." Joker says and Nick blushes bright red.

"Do you have to do that in front of her?!" Nick says in a harsh and quick whisper and I stare at both of them wide-eyed.

"I think I am going to go check my makeup because i don't want to be apart of this." I say and rush away quickly and Nick follows on my heels, Joker lazily following the both of us. The make up tents are attached to the practice tent so i get there quickly and Nick walks through the closed flap behind me, still hot on my heels.

"Wait, no, Marionette, wait." he says and I glance at him in the mirror, before returning to checking my makeup.

"There's nothing to wait on. Go talk with Ryan." I say and he looks at me, exasperated.

"Mari, please." He says, and I shake my head.

"Seriously; I don't want to be caught in that. So please. Go ahead." I tell him and Joker walks in slowly, peeking his head in first, with his hands covering his eyes. He peeks through his fingers, and then closes his fingers over his eyes once again.

"Is there a big old married couple fight I should leave to avoid?" Joker calls into the room and I blush beet red.

"N-No!" I squeak out and Nick is just full on red. Joker smiles wide at me and walks in, leaning against my changing curtain and smiles at me.

"So are you two going to stop fighting?" He inquires, a glint in his eyes.

"We aren't fighting!" Nick explodes, "we are just talking! Why do you got to ruin this? I really like her!" And my hand flies to cover my mouth.

"Oh look what you've done, you're embarrassed the doll. Come on now Mari." Joker says, calling me along and I nod and follow him as he leaves. As he leads me to the practice tent, I realize what just happened. I slow a little and Joker just continues his pace.

"Should i go back there and talk to him?" I ask Joker, and he slows his pace; smiling over his shoulder at me. His blue eyes are closed, his makeup tear from last night smudged on his cheek.

"You don't have to do anything Mari. If you'd like to go back and speak to him though, be my guest." He says and I stop walking. After his statement hangs in the air he stops walking too and faces me.

"Let me reiterate that. You may go talk to him if you feel like you should, but in this situation, you do not have to... Hence, why I tried to get you away from it... Would you like to go talk to him about it?" He asks me, his eyes shining in the low lighting, and slowly and deliberately, I shake my head.

"No... No I don't want to." i say and a small smile sneaks onto his lips before he goes to looking indifferent.

"Then that is your choice my dear. Now come on... We have quite a bit of practicing to catch up on before Mr. Dust sees us slacking-off." He says quirking a smile, and I grin.

"Sounds good... And thank you Ryan." i say smiling at him. An emotion I cannot name washes over his face at the mention of his name; and then he gives me a big, genuine smile.

"Anytime Doll."