Chapter 7 ~ VIII - the bitter end

VIII

I find the note on a table in the white hall that leads from my bedroom to the front door. I smile a little and then look to the front door... I'm coming Joker... I swear I'll find you.

Somebody just kill me. I've been walking for three hours and I'm finally here... and it's just a busted up looking shack. I throw my paper map, unfolded and crinkling onto the ground and stomp on it. My gosh this guy is stupid, isn't he? I growl deep in my throat and walk up to the shack, completely unarmed. Joker knows the story of my brother.. is that why he didn't go dark? The door opens before I get there and the man stands in the frame of the door, giving me a chance to really study him. He's thin as a toothpick, but apparently strong. He is shaded in the dark, the light behind him painting his hair a dark deep brown.

"Who are you?" I ask, my voice carrying an inner strength that rings loud.

"I'm hurt you don't recognize me Marianna." He whispers but I hear him despite the space between us and I falter.

"Why... Why did you do this. If it was so important then kidnap me." I say and he falters now.

"Marly... I faked my death to get away from that circus.. I thought you would too... but you were too weak." He says casually, and it disturbs me.

"Why did you do that to me? Abandon me with a man who constantly hit me?" I ask and he tilts his head a little.

"You should've faked a death." He says and I stomp up to him and shove him, his shoulders familiar to me.

"I couldn't Jaden. Because unlike you I had a person to protect there." I snarl and he looks wounded. He gently takes my hands away from his shoulders and holds them in his hands, the same calloused hands that held my hand when we were sold.

"I'll admit that i left you there with no defenses except for your card soldier, but I had my own reasoning. I... I'm sorry i left you there but i just wanted to make sure-" He begins and I growl low in my throat.

"What? Wanted to make sure your precious little girl toy escaped with you? You don't love me anymore than mom and dad." I hiss to him and hurt and anger fall over him.

"You don't mean that. You still love me too- or else your card soldier wouldve went dark on me." He says and i shove him.

"Screw off Jaden! He's my boyfriend, and he loves me more than you do. And yes, as a matter of fact, I do still love you! But you're just a selfish, arrogant jerk Jaden... You ditched us as soon as the circus moved stops and you are just... You're just a memory to me now... The boy my brother was is dead." I start angry but lower into a hoarse whisper. Anger and pride contort on my brother's face and I stand firm.

"That's right... The boy i was, died when the man found his way through the lies. You know when he found a way through?! When you didn't die to come with me because you didn't love me!" he shouts and tears sting my eyes but I bite my lip to cease them.

"Found your way through the lies? You think you've outrun them? Everything that comes out of your mouth is practically a half lie! I didn't fake a death, not because I didn't love you- But because I had people to protect! And you wanna know what Jaden? I failed! Prince is dead!" I shout at him and everything about him falters. His face falls to sadness, his shoulders sag and I know he's nearly going to cry.

"You... You're serious?" He suddenly rasps out and I nod, sharp.

"I... A friend... Caspar... He murdered Prince... And then Princess killed him... I failed him." I whisper and Jaden suddenly wraps me in a bone-crushing hug... But it just... Feels wrong.