Chapter Six - I

Chapter Six

I

  I awake to a steady rumbling noise and total darkness... I go alert, as i realize i'm in a moving enclosed space and sit up, breathing heavy.

  "Calm down! Calm down Mari- it's just us." I hear Callie's voice soothes and I hold onto a hand that is put on my arm.

  "Why can't I see?" I ask gently and she unties a cloth that's bound around my head. I can see soon and I see mostly everyone sleeping except Romeo who sits awake. We sit in a horse drawn covered-wagon and I peer out the openings. I groan to see we are in the middle of a busy town.

  "Where are they taking us?" I ask quietly and Romeo looks at me sadly, and weary.

  "To where they'll mutate us... I won't survive the process according to that Morgan who bashed you in the head when you were unconscious." Romeo says quietly and i can hear the dismay in his voice. I let the tarp cover the opening of the wagon and i step between people's' bodies carefully and go to sit next to him.

  "Look, Romeo, i know you may not know any of us yet; but you can trust us. None of us were supposed to make it past those... experiments they did to us... But we did... And you and Aliah will too. I wanted to warn you guys but i have been so caught up in my own head that i lost track of what was important... You guys are a part of the family now. Like it or not... So stick with us Romeo... I won't let you down again." I say gently and he looks at me skeptical before sighing and nodding.

  "Okay... But promise you'll stick with us." He says and i quote Joker's favorite thing to say.

  "'Promises are half lies'... I won't promise you i'll stay with you guys.... I swear it." I say and he nods at that; and gives me a weak smile.

  "Okay... Family?" He asks shakily and I smile, and so does Callie.

"Family."