Ch. 7 --- V - VII

We ended up just following them to breakfast where everybody else was already waiting. I'm sitting beside Joker, his arm wrapped around my shoulders, and I wrap both my arms around his torso as the quiet chatter envelopes us.

 "What's wrong?" He whispers to me and I shake my head against him.

 "I don't know if i can do this Ryan." I whisper, my voice weak. He tightens his arm around me and Morgan, who sits across from us, watches us sadly. 

"Joker are you her boyfriend?" Morgan asks quietly, and I look up at Joker expectantly but when his eyes meet mine he looks like he does not know. 

"Officially? I... I never asked." He says and I feel the color fade from my cheeks... Why didn't he just say yes? He looks at me oddly for a second before his arm falls away from around me. Morgan looks alarmed and looks at me apologetically. I just turn away, and wrap my arms around myself, protectively. Is he really just leaving me now? Just like that? I flinch when he goes to touch my shoulder and I get up, walk around the table to Nick and Callie, and sit between them. Romeo sits on the other side of Callie and he makes a noise. 

"Awe my little Mari flower came back to us." Romeo says softly and I just shake my head a little at him. Nick looks at me confused, having missed the situation and Morgan leans over and whispers in his ear. Nick's expression goes to pure and complete surprise and then just rubs my shoulder a little. I smile a little, and shrug his hand off. 

"Hey Morgan can i go to experiments early today?" I whisper and he looks surprised but nods. 

"I... If that's what you want." he says gently and I nod, standing. I look at Princess as morgan stands. 

"I'll see you in an hour honey." i whisper and I turn to Nick, "Watch over her for me please." I whisper and he nods. 

"Of course Doll." He says and I don't meet Joker's gaze as I walk out of the room, Morgan leading me with his hand on my back. Once we get into the hall Morgan turns to me, leading me through the pure white laboratory.

 "Are you... okay?" He asks softly and i shrug.

 "I'm numb." I whisper and he nods faintly.

 "I'm sorry i spoke to him." Morgan apologizes and i shake my head again.

 "Don't be sorry... He chose to say that... And now he won't even look at me the same i'm sure for walking away like that but i don't care... i'm just numb that he would... do that." I whisper and Morgan sighs.

 "Well.. At least Mr. Dust will be happy he'll be able to test on you longer." Morgan says and I nod a little. "Happy boss, happy life; right?" I ask teasing and he laughs a little. 

   "Right."

 VI

 I step into the tank, tired of the pain of knowing what's to come and i sit once inside. 

"Marionette if you sit down it'll be more painful." Mr. Dust comments quietly over a speaker into my tank and I just shrug. 

"That's okay." I call out, and he looks at me oddly as if debating whether i'm human and I feel the perfluorocarbon start to fill the tank.

 "Are you sure?" He asks and I look up at him and see the man who has hit me time and time again, never thinking just hitting me for the joy of it and i nod as the fluid comes to my chin.