All These Years

When we lose track of time and everything becomes a memory, you will still be the one for me. My days began and ended with you. It's been that way since we met. I should have known that as time went by I would change. I thought I could ignore it, the overwhelming feeling of uncertainty. If you would have told me the day we met that you'd stay in my life, I would have laughed in your face. Because people leave me. The love I hold in my heart is given to people who don't deserve it, it's given up too easily. Inevitably, one day, you're going to leave through the same doorway as everyone else. That's my biggest fear. No matter how many scenarios I create in my head, where we live in a perfect world and I hold your hand. No matter how many times you tell me you love me. No matter how many times you tell me it's okay. No matter how many times you tell me to feel what I feel without shame. No matter what, I carry that fear in my head every time you leave without saying goodbye.

Time will go by and I'll pull away. I know myself. And when you forget about me I'll still start and end my days with you. I'll still miss you more than you miss me. I'll still write about you, you told me once that you don't want me to stop. I'll still think about you and what we would be like in a perfect world. It'll always be you.

And you'd probably still never know,

You're still the one I'm after all these years.