Chapter 1

This is a new story I’m working on so thank you for reading. Please vote and leave a comment on what you think of it. Enjoy x

Andrew’s POV

I wake up to the sound of my alarm going off and I don’t want to get up. Most days of the week I work at my uncle’s shop down at Irving Pl and it’s great but nothing really happens. I’ve been working there since I was sixteen. Since the day I moved in with my aunt and uncle he would always take me to the shop to drink hot chocolate when I was sad.

 After the death of my mother I had no one else, I was eight and alone. My father had abandoned us when I was four and I never heard from him. When my mom died I had no one but my aunt and along the way uncle Phil came into the picture. He became the father figure I needed.

“Andrew!” I hear my aunt yell. “I’m up.” I groan then get up from the bed and make my way to the bathroom.

I walk in the bathroom I can hear my aunt getting off the phone with someone.  I stick my head out the bathroom. “Who was that?” I ask. “That was your uncle. He and Drake already opened the shop and is wondering where you are.” Drake is at the shop already? I smile to myself. It’s not like Drake to arrive that early he’s definitely going for a raise. “Don’t just stand there, hurry up. If you’re late again he’s going to put you on bathroom duties.” She scolds me and it’s true. “You’re right.” I say then quickly close the door.

I see my reflection on the mirror and I can’t help but notice my dark brown hair almost completely back. Last Halloween my best friend Marie dared me to dye my hair black “All in the spirit of the holiday” she said.

“I don’t hear the shower running.” My aunt yells over the door.

. . .

I finished getting dress and its only 6:45AM. One point for Andrew--zero for the world. I go up the stairs to the living room since my room is in the basement. My uncle fixed it up for my 13th birthday. He said that I was a man and I needed my privacy.

I grab my jacket from a hook at the front door and put it on. ”Andrew, aren’t you going to have breakfast?” My aunt says from behind me. I turn around and think about it for a second and shake my head. “No. Not today. Maybe tomorrow, it would be good if I get to the shop somewhat early. It’ll make up for last week.” I walk up to her and kiss her forehead. “Alright then, be careful in that car of yours. God knows you’re not the best driver.” She teases. “Yes Aunt Katy.” I say and walk out the front door.

When I step out I’m greeted with the cold breeze of January in Manhattan. Most would argue but winter is one of the best seasons. Everything is so calm and quite.

I cross the street and get in my car a Grant Cherokee ’11. As I’m put my key in the ignition my phone vibrates. I check who it is before pulling out and it’s Marie. It’s a text with a picture of her with a scarf. I decide to call her so I don’t get into any traffic. I put on my earphones then dial her number.

“Hey, what’s up?” I say into the phone as I pull out. “Nothing, I’m just going through my closet. What are you doing?” I bite my lower lip trying to focus on the road and on what Marie is saying. “Um… Nothing, I’m driving to work.” Wait it’s AM, Marie is doesn’t wake up after twelve. “Actually, why are you awake?” I say a bit confused. “Don’t even get me started. Ruby woke me up, again.” I can’t help but laugh. Marie’s sister Ruby has a habit of leaving the house late at night with her boyfriend and then waking up Marie to sneak her back in. “It’s not funny, I’m having serious thought about telling mom.” She say annoyed. “I’m sorry, it’s just funny but I don’t know about rating her out.” Marie may act like she doesn’t care but I know and she does as well that she care very much about her little sister. She’s looks out for her everywhere they go. They have a strong relationship. “Anyways, what did you think about the scarf? I was thinking of wearing for your party.” She says and I sigh.

My birthday is in a few days and Marie has being bothering me about it since as long as I can remember.

“I’ve told you a thousand times that I don’t want a party.” I say firmly. If I give her the least hesitance she’ll hold on to that until she gets what she wants. “But Andrew, it’s your 19th birthday! C’mon, how can we not celebrate it? You’ll be the birthday boy; I have this friend who’s interested in you.” I laugh. “First of all I’m no boy I’m a man and I don’t want a party. If you want we can go out and do something together.” She sighs. “Okay.”

“Anyways, I’m here at the shop so I’ll call you later when my shift is over.” I look around for any cars and start parking. “Alright bye” she says and ends the call.

I finish parking and make sure I have everything before I get off. When I walking to the front door I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I reach for my phone and it’s a text from Drake. As a read the message I open the door and all I can hear is the sound of someone falling.

I quickly look down and it’s a girl on the floor. “I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” I bend down to help her up and I hear a soft whimper. “Did you get hurt?” I offer her my hand but she denies it then gets up and so do I. When we make eye contact her eyes are red and puffy. “I really am sorry.”

“You can stop apologizing now.” She snaps at me. “Feisty.” I chuckle and she finds it in no way amusing. “Throw me on the floor then laugh, beautiful.” She rolls her eyes. “Oh c’mon I didn’t throw you. You fell to my feet, literally.” I laugh then she shoves through me and as she walks away I can hear her mumble. “Asshole.”

“Nice to meet you too.” I call out and I can’t help but think that she was actually kind of cute.