Chapter 7

Old

Andrew's POV

I lay awake on my bed thinking and it seems as if it's the only thing I've done in the last twenty four hours. But for some strange reason, I can't shake off the things lingering in my head.

Today I turn 19, another milestone but it feels nothing like it.

I toss and turn on my bed trying to find some peace of mind for at least a couple of hours when all of a sudden, my phone vibrates disturbing my peace.

"The clock strikes 12:02am." I read a text from Elizabeth. "Happy Birthday!"

"Indeed it does. Thank you, x" I replied with a kiss emoji.

"You weren't suppose to read that."

"Oh?.."

"It was suppose to be a morning text. You were suppose to be surprised!" She sent with surprised emojis.

"I'm sorry."

"Let's try again." I sent with an emoji smiling wide.

A couple of minutes go by and As I'm smiling to myself, I feel my phone vibrating yet again.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

"Oh my god." I send with a lot of surprised emojis.

"Haha, see that's what I was hoping for."

"Haha, thank you." I smiled to myself again. Even the smallest things she does make me smile. Since I coudln't sleep, I decided to call her.

"Hi." Her voice was soft with excitement.

"Hi" I smile into the phone.

"So, You're nineteen, how do you feel?!" I think about it for a moment. In reality, I feel nothing different.

"Nothing." I stay quiet. "Nothing yet."

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah. What about you, what are you up to?"

"I'm parked in front of my apartment. I don't want to go inside."

"Why not?" I sit up now with my back against my headboard.

"Multiple reasons." she sighs.

"Like what?" I asked intrigued.

"Things are not the same. They act different when I'm around. It's like, I can feel them judging me for the things I've done."

"Who is 'they'?"

"My family." She said softly.

We stayed there for a minute or two without either saying anything.

"Elizabeth." I say breaking the silence.

"Yeah?" She says taking a deep breath.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I hear her voice break.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I could tell she was lying.

"Tell me. You don't have to lie to me."

"Everything is a mess Andrew. Nothing that I do is ever okay." She starts crying. "I don't want live like this anymore, I want to leave everything behind and not have to worry about anyone or anything ever again."

"I'm sorry." Is the only thing that was able to come out of my mouth. I wish I could do more to comfort her in moments like this. In ocasions we just need comforting and understaning to be alright.