Chapter 15

Andrew's POV

Today I'm at the mall with Marie and Ryan; I think he might be joining us on our trip to Boston. Ryan is a good friend of ours from high school. At the beginning of senior year, he had to move away to Missouri because of family trouble but we kept tabs on each other. Marie and I met him during lunch; he was an ugly duckling as some would say. He would sit alone every day reading a book. Marie out of nowhere felt and wanted to sit with him so we did. Later to find out Marie had a crush on Ryan, a brief one. But at the end we all became great friends.

"So are you staying in New York for good this time?" I ask him. "I don't know, the whole coming back and forth thing is kind of boring. And I really miss this city." He slightly smiles. "You're missed around here man, without you I'm stuck with Marie," I say making gagging noises. "Not funny," Marie says from behind us. "There's nothing good in this store." She complains. "I told you there wouldn't be anything good in this crap store," Ryan replies and I laugh. "I agree, the logo they have is not appealing." She rolls her eyes and starts walking towards the exit. "Shayla told me-" Ryan interrupts her.

"Since when do you talk to Shayla? I thought you hated her after what happen with your cats back in freshman year summer." Marie gives him a side glance and I laugh. "They made up like two months ago."

Marie's crush on Ryan lasted about a week was because according to her, he shouldn't say everything that comes to his mind but I thought it was an excellent quality and a hilarious one too.

. . .

Eventually we make it out the mall alive and I head to my place. Marie had to meet up with her boyfriend who's name I have forgotten and Ryan had something to take care of so I'm solo now. Partly why I came home is because I'm starving and my mother always said, the mind always works at its best with a full stomach or something like that.

I walk pass the living room and see a shadow, I give a second glance and it's my aunt. "You scared me, I thought someone broke in," I say and she slightly laughs. "Are you taking a lunch break?" she asks and I shake my head. "I'm not working today. I took a day off, Ryan is in town." She arches her eyebrows. "Is he here with Eva?" I think back at our day today to see if he mentioned anything, but nothing comes to mind. We mostly cached up on what's been happening lately; it also included teasing Marie. "I don't know, I think he's with his uncle this time but I'm not sure." She nods and I make my way to the kitchen.

"Why do I feel like I haven't seen you lately?" She casually mentions. I think about it for a second and she's right, partly because she spends so much time with the unnamable. But also because I've been spending a lot of time at Elizabeth's house. "I don't know, it must be work or something." I grab a plate from the cabinets above. "Take the one in the microwave, it should still be hot, warm at least." She kindly says and I wink back at her.

The plate in the microwave wasn't hot enough so I set it for a minute. I put everything back to its place and all while this my aunt goes quiet, so quiet that I almost forget she's there. "Is everything alright?" I ask. "Of course, why wouldn't it?" She blinks rapidly like if I interrupted a deep thought. "I don't know, you and uncle Phil have been acting so weird lately." I shrug. I grab my food and put it down on the dining table. "Weird how?" She sits next to me. "Let's not forget the papers he's hiding from me and also yesterday he was lecturing me about my father," I say and she shifts uncomfortably. "Your uncle means well, you know this."

They always say they mean well but keeping things from me is not the best way to show it. I'm sure they've realized that I'm not 10 anymore. Whatever is happening I can handle it.

Elizabeth's POV.

"I still don't know why you're here, what's happening between you and him goes beyond me. I'm not his puppet master, I have no say in what he does." I say to Andrew's father. "Perhaps not, but he's interested in you." I sigh,

"I'm not going to tell him anything and frankly I don't think you even deserve an ounce of his time. Do you have any idea what he has been through?" He slightly chuckles and I feel sick, how can this be in any way amusing. "Look, what I'm asking you is simple. Convince Andrew to talk to me and that's it." He cynically smiles. I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "You have great courage coming here but my answer is final, no." I stand up and walk to the door. "Now could you please leave," I say opening the door.

"I had a feeling you wouldn't agree so, I did some..." he says waving his hand in the air. "Some digging and it wasn't pretty what found." I bring my hand to my face and rub my temples. "I've been polite with you sir but you're annoying the crap out of me so get out of my apartment." I glare at him but he doesn't respond. "Out!" I raise my voice.

"No need to be aggressive, Emily."
"What did you just call me?" A narrow my eyes.

He smiles and I get light headed. "Isn't that your name?" he half smiles. "Your father didn't do a very good job keeping your little secret." I stand in front of him motionless. The reason I moved to New York was to run away from my past and everything that comes with it. "What do you know?" I bring myself to ask; he chuckles. "Just about everything." I can't believe this is happening. This chapter of my life should be sealed and locked away.

"You're looking a bit pale and I have to go." He looks at his wrist where his watch rests. "I mean no harm. Just talk to Andrew, it's all I'm asking." I wrap my arms around my body not knowing what to say. "Do that or... well I'm sure you can already imagine." And with that he leaves.

"Hey, wasn't that Andrew's dad?" I hear Fay and my eyes start to cloud. "What's wrong?" She ask looking me in the eyes, "He knows." A tear escapes and rolls down my cheek. "What?" She asks wide eyed. I lean against the wall and let myself fall to the floor.