Chapter 8

Trust

Andrew's POV

"Uh, sorry." I stand up from the desk eyeing him. "Is there something on there I shouldn't about?" I waited for his response but he seemed lost in his thoughts. He's not one to keep secrets. Our relationship has always been open. He's been a father and even a brother.

"No, no. Of course not. There are just some progress reports of the shop that's all." He lets out a heavy sigh like he'd been holding it in for a long time, and sits down then he smiles. "Now, what did you need?" He moves around in his chair uncomfortably.

"Nothing, I have to go actually. You know, finish up my shift." I stand up and leave his office.

He's a terrible liar.

• • •

It's 8:45PM and the shop closes in 15 minutes. I walk around making sure that everything is in order before closing the shop up. Since I left my Uncle's office this afternoon, the only thing I could think about is what could he possibly be hiding from me. We've always had a good relationship so it hurts that he would he lie straight to my face.

I removed my apron and hung it on the hook next the front door. "Uncle, are you ready? It's time to close up." I yell out.

"Yeah, I'm coming." He walks out behind the counters with a shoulder bag.

"What's that?"

He stops and looks around. "What's what?"

I roll my eyes. "The bag uncle. What is it." He starts walking towards the door and stops in front of me.

"Stop asking so many questions kid. If it were something that would have been of concern to you, I would've told you, don't you think?" He scolds me and walks out the front door.

I chuckle. "Asshole." I mumble under my breath.

I close the shop and walk to my car accross the street.

I slowly pulled off as we rode in silence for a couple of minutes.

"Take forty-first street instead of thirty-six."

I stop at a red light thinking why would he want me to take the road instead of our normal way home. "Why?" I slightly glanced at him.

"I have to buy something there." Shortly after we arrive at the local CVS pharmacy.

"What do you need?" I say taking the keys out of the ignition.

"No. I'll go, stay here." He quickly gets out of the car without letting me say a word about it. I let out a long sigh and decided to call Marie.

"Yes?" She says into the phone. "Marie, my Uncle is being so obnoxious tonight." I looked out my car window to see him walking into the building.

"How so?"

"Well for starters, earlier today their were some papers on his desk, and I picked them up to see what they were about and he literally just snatched the sheets right out of my hands."

She starts to laugh. "Then out of nowhere he was carrying this shoulder bag I've never seen before, so I asked him about it and he abruptly says, 'Stop asking questions, if it were to concern you I would tell you.' And now, he randomly has to go to the pharmacy and wouldn't let me go to get whatever he needed."

"Andrew everyone has bad days. He's probably going through one right now." She calmly says. "Well yeah I know, but It's like he's hiding something. The papers he had on his desk were from a hospital. I take care of all of their paper work. Why wouldn't he let me see them?"