Chapter 18

Andrew’s POV

After what feels like ages I finally I get on the elevator of their apartment building. My heart is racing like a teenage girl meeting her idol.

 I step off the elevator and I hope for the best as I run for Elizabeth’s door. “Where is she?” I yell in panic walking through the apartment. I look around for anything out of place that might tell me what happened, but everything seems ordinary. I look inside Elizabeth’s room, and no one is there which must mean they are at the hospital already. I dial Fay’s cell number and wait but subsequent to no answer I hang up and leave the apartment. I don’t make it halfway to the elevator when I hear Fay call my name from behind me. “Where’s Ellie?” I jog to her, “She’s with Aleah, and c’mon I have to talk to you.” She walks into her apartment and I’m left at complete loss.

“What the hell Fay?” I close the door going from zero to a hundred. “Do you think this is funny? I actually thought something was wrong.” I can’t believe she actually played me like that, it’s uncalled for. “There is something wrong. Maybe not that extensively, but there is.” I shake my head in disbelief, this is ridiculous. “So you have to call crying, just tell me something’s wrong?” I spit out and she walks to the kitchen. She reaches for the cabinets above her and grabs a wine glass then a bottle of vodka that sits on the countertop. “You’re right, you’re right. I’m sorry.” She pours vodka into her glass. “Hell yeah, I know I am.” I roll my eyes. “I think you need some of this,” I think about it for a moment. I’ve already had three beers, but her stunt has made my head throb. I nod accepting her offer while taking off my jacket. I grab the glass while she fetched another for herself. “So what’s wrong?” “It’s your dad; he’s harassing my little sister.”

“What?” I ask confused, “Like a day ago he came here, he was asking Ellie to convince you.”
“Convince me with what?”
 “To talk to him.” My eyebrows furrow in both anger and confusion. “Wait, how does he know where you live?” Just by looking at her face I knew she was as clueless as me. “What else?” She brings her drink to her mouth clearly not wanting to share anymore information. But I stare at her and without an option, she answers. “He threatened her,”

“Are you serious?” Fay slowly nods and a rush of heat runs through my body. “Who does he think he is?” I shake my head in anger. “I have to talk to Elizabeth,” grabbing my phone I search for her name when Fay snatches my phone out of my hands. “No, you can’t tell her.” “Why not?” she opens the nearest drawer, throws my phone then closes it. “The only reason I told you is so you can go talk to your dad.” I let out a dry chuckle, “Are you crazy? Now with more reason I’ll never talk to him.” a groans of frustration leaves her mouth. “Andrew you have to, if you do all of this will be over. Everything will back to normal.” I sigh and with it go’s my anger. I should be thinking about Elizabeth in all of this, not him. “Okay,”

•••

I hang up and stare at my phone. I was talking to Elizabeth, I practically had to beg her to meet me at a café and although I try not to think about it, I can’t shake the thought out of my head. What did my father say to her? What’s so bad that she feels the need to hide it from me? In our short time we’ve talked about everything. I’ve told her things that I haven’t told anyone. My head is going crazy with questions but they all seem to be one simple answer. Maybe she doesn’t trust me the way I do.

. . .

 “Hey,” Elizabeth greets me with a warm smile. She sits across from me and waves to get the attention from a waitress standing by. “I’ll have a chai latte please,” the young lady nods, “What about you sir?” “A vanilla chai.” I smile and she retreats. “So what’s up?” Elizabeth’s ask, “I wanted to talk about the Boston trip, I was talking to Drake about it and I we have it all planned out.” “Oh...” Is all she says, “You don’t want to go anymore?” I ask her and she nods, “I do, I do. I had just forgotten about it that’s all.” She smiles, “Okay, what’s wrong?” “What do you mean?” she asks, “Well, you haven’t made any eye contact with me whatsoever and you’re just smiling.” She shyly laughs,
     “Not true,”
     “I know,”
“Know what?” “About my father,” the laughter fades and I watch her tense. “What?” “Fay told me my father came by your apartment. Why didn’t you tell me?” She shrugs, “I didn’t think it was important,” my eyebrows quirk without intent. “Elizabeth he threatened you.” I place my hands on the table and reach for hers. “You’ve been avoiding me." “Oh look our drinks.” She breaks our touch and I sigh. “Thank you” I smile at the waitress. I take my chai and slowly drink it as I watch her. “Ow” Elizabeth exclaims then pouts. “Be careful.” I laugh and she joins me. In past days this is the longest time we’ve been together, I’m not about to ruin it over my father.

•••

“Andrew, wake up.” I hear a distant voice. “Andrew!” I hear Ryan yell and I jump out of my sleep. “What are you doing here?” I ask him drowsy from my sleep. “I never left,” he chuckles. “You’ve been here all day?” he nods. “Are those my clothes?” “Yes all the way to the underwear, they fit perfectly.” I shake my head and stand up. “Where’s my aunt?” “She left with your uncle.” I walk to the pantry and grab two cans of Pringles then walk back to the living room to sit next to Ryan who’s on his phone. “Here” I throw him a can knocking his phone off his hands. “I’m sorry,” I laugh. “I didn’t want to pry this morning but what’s wrong between you and your uncle?” he sighs, “He was mad because I came home late.” He shrugs but I can tell he’s lying. I decide to let him tell me when he’s ready.

“That movie was awesome man.” Ryan says and I laugh agreeing with him. “Who would’ve thought?” I stand up and grab a slice of pizza that Ryan had ordered half way through the movie. “I don’t know, but I’m not ashamed.” I shake my head and take a bite of the food in my hands when I hear a knock on the door. I look at Ryan confused. “Maybe it’s your aunt and uncle?” Ryan says unsure. “They both have keys,” I shrug, and head to the door. Half way opening the door I realize who it is and without hesitation I slam the door shut and go back to the living room. “Who was it?” asks Ryan, “Wrong house.” I continue eating my pizza while I channel surf. Seconds later the knocks on the door resume. Ryan gets up and opens the door, “Don’t open it!” I yell.

 “Um, who are you?” I hear Ryan’s voice,
“I’m Andrew’s father,”
 “Oh…” shortly after I hear footsteps behind me. “Son, we need to talk.” My so called father says from behind me.

“You know, you have great courage coming here at this time and referring to me as your son after you threatened my friend with god knows what.” I say without looking at him. “Ryan, do you want to watch Marco Polo or Criminal Minds?” Ryan sits next to me and I can tell he’s uncomfortable. “I don’t know, should I leave you two alone or something?” I chuckle, “Why should you? He was just leaving.”

“No, actually I’m not. This time you’re going to listen to me.”