11 - The Challenge Continues

DARKNESS COVERED DIANA'S THOUGHTS LIKE AN OMINOUS CLOUD

DARKNESS COVERED DIANA'S THOUGHTS LIKE AN OMINOUS CLOUD. As much as she loved battle, this could very well be her last. Eris had easily defeated her in the casino in Busan, but had spared Diana in order for her to witness the destruction of everything she cared about. However, Diana knew that this time, Eris would not be so merciful. The battle that would erupt between them only had two outcomes: either one of them died, or they both did.

"Diana," a voice said, bringing her out of her thoughts.

Diana turned, looking at T'Challa. Now wearing his panther suit, complete with his helmet, she knew even without seeing his face that he was watching her with a concerned expression.

"Yes?" Diana asked.

"Are you alright? You haven't spoken since we left Jabariland."

Diana nodded. "I'm fine. Just... worried."

T'Challa nodded, falling silent. Neither of them wanted to admit it, but they both knew that the chances of Diana surviving the battle with Eris were low. T'Challa desperately wanted to help Diana in the fight, but before they had left she had made him swear that he wouldn't intervene — even if her life was at stake. It was probably the hardest promise T'Challa ever had to make.

"The outcome of a battle is never certain until it is over," T'Challa said after a moment. When Diana glanced at him in surprise, he said, "You said that to Shuri during the challenge. It was a very wise thing you told her, and very true. So I see no reason why you shouldn't have faith in it now."

Diana sighed, looking down at her feet before lifting her head smiling at him. "That's very true. You shame me, T'Challa."

T'Challa shook his head. "It is you that shames me, Diana."

"Hey, lovebirds," Shuri piped up, cutting off their conversation. "We're here."

Diana's smile faded as they reached the edge of the jungle, looking out at the plains in front of them. Ross, Nakia, and Shuri gathered behind Diana and T'Challa, looking out at the scene. At the top of the hill, several Border Tribe warriors and King's Guard were loading cargo onto the bottom of a Talonfighter. The Dora Milaje kept watch in the distance, while Killmonger, dressed in casual clothes and with his gold panther toothed necklace exposed, walked around, watching impatiently as cargo was loaded up onto an entire fleet of Wakandan aircraft — W'Kabi and Okoye flanking him.

"Alright," T'Challa said. "You all know the plan. Shuri, Nakia, Ross, you three will get to the lab and try to stop those planes. Diana, you go with them, but make sure to come back up and stay hidden until I give the signal. Okoye may choose to help us, and she will need your help if Killmonger attacks them."

Shuri, Nakia, and Ross nodded, darting off into the jungle to sneak around the side of the mountain. Diana started to follow, but stopped and looked at T'Challa.