16 - Duty Calls

WHEN DIANA WAS AT JULIA'S HOUSE, SHE DIDN'T FREQUENTLY GET CALLS FROM OTHER PEOPLE

WHEN DIANA WAS AT JULIA'S HOUSE, SHE DIDN'T FREQUENTLY GET CALLS FROM OTHER PEOPLE. When she was there, most people didn't even know it, and those who did know usually didn't call her through Julia's home phone. Diana had never stressed the importance of her free time, since her duty to protect Man's World was constant, but during her time with the Justice League, the fact that no one should call Diana while she was at the Kapatelis household had become some sort of unspoken rule that her teammates followed.

So it was a complete surprise when, a week after her arrival, Diana was brought out of her meditation by Julia's voice.

"Diana! Someone's on the phone for you!"

Diana's eyes opened, her brows furrowing in confusion. Standing up, she left her room and jogged down the stairs before joining Julia in the living room. The older woman had her phone out, looking just as confused as Diana felt.

"It's a man," Julia told Diana. "I don't recognize the number or his voice, but he was quite adamant about speaking with you."

Diana met her friend's eyes, slowly and hesitantly taking the phone. Then, she raised it to her ear and took a deep breath. "Yes?"

"Is this Diana Prince?" came a man's voice.

Diana frowned. "Yes, it is. Why do you ask?"

"Because we need your help," he replied. "But you have to promise not to retaliate."

Diana's frown deepened, but something in her heart told her this man was sincere. "Alright. I give you my word."

"Good."

The man hung up, and seconds later the doorbell suddenly rang, catching Diana's attention. Frowning even more, she handed Julia back her phone and walked over to the door, then inhaled quietly before opening it. And she couldn't believe what she saw.

It was four people, two men and two women. The first woman — who appeared to be older than the other — had short, platinum blonde hair and blue eyes, dressed in a green and black uniform with two escrima sticks strapped to her back. The second was at least ten years younger, with a layer of short blonde hair that went over her natural brunette color, and thick brows and lips. She was dressed in a sleeveless black bodysuit with silver embellishments, but there was dark silver armor that was strapped on her left shoulder by a black leather strap around her chest, and a long sword tied to a sheath on her hip.

One of the two men was dark-skinned, with red and black goggles on his head and a matching uniform, which had an oddly shaped jetpack on the back, along with gloves on his hands and two pistols strapped to his thighs. The other man — the one standing in front of the dark-skinned man and the two women — was obviously the leader. Tall and broad-shouldered, he had a shaggy sandy brown beard and slightly unkempt hair, which made his own pale blue eyes stand out on his face. He wore a faded navy blue uniform, and when Diana looked closely there was a patch of torn fabric on his shoulder, almost as it if there had been an emblem there that he had ripped off.