28 - That's America's Ass

DIANA AND THE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE FIRST GROUP ARRIVED IN NEW YORK IN 2012, MATERIALIZING ON A SIDE STREET

DIANA AND THE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE FIRST GROUP ARRIVED IN NEW YORK IN 2012, MATERIALIZING ON A SIDE STREET. The city was in absolute chaos — buildings were destroyed, cars were overturned and on fire, and aliens flew through the air, firing at anything and everything. Diana remembered them as the Chitauri, and that Thor's adoptive brother Loki had been responsible for all of this.

"Okay, Princess," Tony said, glancing at Diana. "This was a mess, how the hell were you not here?"

"I was," Diana told him. "You just didn't see me."

"Still, an assist would've been nice," Tony muttered.

Diana huffed, crossing her arms. "Well, I can't be everywhere at once, Tony."

"Focus, guys," Steve said to the two. When they both turned to him and fell silent, he went on, "All right, we all have our assignments. Two Stones uptown, one Stone, down. Stay low. Keep an eye on the clock."

Suddenly 2012 Hulk passed by them, smashing everything in his way with a loud roar. Bruce, however, put his hand on his face in obvious embarrassment.

"Feel free to smash a few things along the way," Steve said to him. 

Bruce rolled his eyes. "I think it's gratuitous, but whatever." He then pretended to smash things in a sarcastic way, tearing his shirt off and walking over to a car. He lightly punched the car, making a small dent in the metal, all the while making growling noises, then picked up a motorcycle and threw it at a wall, wincing as it smashed against the concrete.

Diana shook her head at him, then looked at Steve and Tony as Bruce ran off. "Let's go, we don't have much time," she said.

Tony nodded, putting on his armor before flying into the air. Then Steve turned to Diana and gestured for her to follow. The two walked into Stark Tower, with Diana pulling the lid of her baseball cap further down her head when people glanced at her. Even though none of the Avengers had actually seen her, other civilians had, and she couldn't risk them recognizing her and wondering how she could be in two places at once.

Since Steve knew the layout of the tower better than she did, Diana followed him through the building while keeping a low profile. They traveled through the massive space, taking stairs and walking down hallways (getting lost a few times in the process). Diana began to grow slightly concerned; how big was this building?

"Got to hustle, lady and gent," Tony suddenly said over comms. "Things look like they're just about wrapped up here."

As Tony had spoken, Steve and Diana had finally found the elevator. So Steve gave a faint nod as they walked towards it.

"Got it," he said. "We're approaching the elevator now." The two heroes entered the elevator, and as they traveled upwards, Steve turned to Diana and told her, "Go with Tony to get the cube. I'll get the scepter."