Chapter 10

Evangeline

"Perfect," Mare mutters, the heartbreak on her face evident as the sky is blue. "Perfect," is repeated, as she rises on quivering legs, and creates a beeline exit. But before Mare can step through the threshold of the entryway, the white-haired electricon lunges forward and wraps his fingers around her wrist, in futile attempt to restrain.

She starts, as though a bullet flew past her head. No guns exist in this room, at least, as far as I'm aware. His grip reminds her of my manacles, is the only reason for her shock I can invent.

The continuation of the subject interests me, yet not nearly as much as Tiberias' reaction to a second man laying hands on the girl. So quickly, I whip my head to the seat beside mine, to witness the prince's fury.

Rather, what I'm met with is a form of sickness etched on his features, his lip twitching unnaturally and his throat moving; nervous. I note, that it isn't the interaction of Mare and Tyton, but the aftermath of perceiving Maven's video.

If it were Elane, I'd feel sick as well.

Not until Tyton pleads, "Mare, please," that Tiberias' scrutiny is earned.

And what a priceless demeanor his expression morphs into. Unearned betrayal overwhelms the remainder of emotions, and for once, he doesn't hide it, not caring or else not given enough time to do so.

Though sooner than he can commit an idiotic action, Mare fractures the duo's bond jerkily, and races from the rest of us swifter than a proper girl should. But that would be to say that lightning can be tamed. "Give her distance, Tyton. I'm sorry, but you can't relate to what she went through," Commander Farley yanks him back by the shirt arm, and though Tyton spreads his mouth open, she elaborates, "Let her do what she needs to, to alleviate some of the pain."

"She shouldn't be alone right now," Tyton quips back, prying Farley's grip off his arm. "Who knows if she'll harm herself?"

"Mare won't; Mare won't, for the sake of protecting her loved ones. Especially after she learns of my plan."

The general comes out of his silence and advances towards Farley. Davidson hikes a brow and ties his arms together. "If you keep my soldiers out of it, I may be game."

"Unless you'd like to agitate her further, I suggest you bring your feet right back to where they were, Tyton," Farley growls lowly, pointing a tad violently at a spot on the tiles. Only coming to my attention now, Tyton managed halfway to the exit.

"Actually, I'd be exceptionally pleased, if you all were to leave," Anabel proposes, surging up; though the hasty motion has her smoothing the day gown she wears. Realizing the air of rudeness she employs, "My grandson and Evangeline have a critical broadcast to film," Anabel amends.

"Ah, yes," Davidson acknowledges. "It completely slipped my mind. Very sorry, for the intrusion, Your Majesty."

"Accepted," she daintily responds.

They're scared of us, or maybe simply eager to strategize their way out of this mess, but the reds cram themselves out of the meeting room in less than fifteen seconds.

"Now, where were we?" Anabel questions.

Tiberias smacks an open palm down on the transparent tabletop, forceful enough to cause waters and wines to slosh over their rims slightly, but not so much that the glasses fall entirely. "We're not going to take a single moment to recognize what's happened?"

"The girl, nor her sister are concerned, Tiberias. If it comforts you, surely the Guard will concoct some scheme or another," Father says with not a trace of sympathy. "This conversation does not accord to the schedule."