Chapter 18: moms back

I haven't seen Jake since the night of our fight. It's been almost two weeks.

"Hey Sally" I say with a fake smile plastered on my face as I'm walking in to the kitchen.

"Hey sweetie, so your moms coming back in to town in about a week or so" she says looking up from chopping some green onions.

"okay, whatcha cooking?" I ask trying to change the subject.

"meet loaf, for dinner."

" Uh cool, hey I'm gonna go drive around" I say as soon as I see Jake's headlights  pull up in the drive way.

I'm walking down the stairs of the porch. right when Jake is walking up them.

I'm thinking about talking to him but I don't want to make things more worse than they already are between us.

before I know it, I feel a strong grip on my wrist, forbidding me to go any further down the drive way.

"Maya we need to talk." he says looking at the side of my head.

I kinda don't want to talk to him. I'm guess I'm just scared that it'll turn into another fight. ever since the fight between us a few weeks ago we've been really distant and I hate that about us right now, I just don't want to make it any worse.

"fine" I sigh because I know that even if I tried to back out he'd just win another argument.

                                  .......

I'm sitting on the edge of Jakes bed right next to him, tense, just staring at the white and blue striped wall in front of me.

"Maya, this has got to stop." he finally speaks up.

"Jake, I know, but before we go in to any further detail I want you to know that I'm not looking for another fight." I say looking at him.

"Okay, okay it doesn't have to be a fight, just talking right?" he says looking at me for the first time since we entered the room.

"Yeah." I simply say.

"Okay, I just want to let you know that what went down with Zach-"

"Jake, the reason why I'm mad at you is because you, of all people, know that I hate him and you went and tried to set us up again." I say raising my voice a little "Sorry, right, no fighting."

"Only if you would just listen to me," he tries to calm me down but I don't think it's working.

"Listen to you?  Jake? Listen to you?" I say raising my voice again "You crossed the line doing what you did a few weeks ago... telling  your buddy Drew to tell Zach that you want to talk to him in the library, and then having him tell me that-"

Mywords were cut off by a pair of smooth, soft lips pressed against mine.

I have suddenly forgotten why I was mad at him.

Then reality practically smacked me in the face.

I push him off of me, even though I didn't want to. "Jake, what the hell are doing?" I whisper to him.

"Maya, I've been waiting to do that for a long time... and I know you have to. " he says.

"What? No!" I say dening my feelings for him, " Okay, maybe, but- ugh! I just don't know what to think, or say."

"Then don't just listen, please." I nod. 

"I don't know what Zach told you on Thursday, but I can almost garentee you that it was a lie.  I never would do something like that to you, because, Maya I like you and I do care for you no matter what anybody says." He says holding my hands, and looking straight into my eyes.

"Okay." I say looking into his big blue orbs.

"Maya, Jake! Dinner's ready!" I hear Sally's voice comming from stairs.

     We walk hand in hand down stairs, into the kitchen, where Cole and Sally are sitting. Cole glances at our hands then quickly looks away.

As soon as I start eating we all hear the door bell ring. "Mom, did you invite friends over for dinner tonight?" Cole asks

"No." She answers. We all look at eachother with wierd looks on our faces.                                            

  "I'll get it." I say, with Jake getting up to come with me, and to honest, I didn't mind at all.

I open the door revealing my mother with Zach behind her.