Reflection

Based off of Bollywood film Om Shanti Om.

"Why is he ignoring me?" I asked Nari who was watching the romantic comedy, Hana Kimi. She couldn't seem to concentrate on it, searching for an excuse to stand up and block out the screen like some irritating white noise.

"I don't know. Leeteuk has been so distant from me too... But he's at least talking to me. Hey..." That's when she began tapping my crossed arms. "Why don't we visit them. I visited Teukkie when he was ill. All of the members do live together."

"I don't want to intrude. Maybe he needs some space."

"Why would he need space from you; he is practically smitten for you?" That was a sentence I laughed off. I was just a country girl who moved to Seoul for job opportunities. I was just some unglamorous person who lived in a moderately decent apartment. I was just a singer that nobody would recognise. We may enjoy each other's company, but why would he fall for someone as plain as me?

***

I had now transitioned myself onto a couch, wondering when I'd see Heechul.

"Here's some coffee." Leeteuk said, placing two mugs in front of us. "Heechul will be back any second." He said this directly to me, as if to imply something. "I'm sure he wants to talk to you." Since his wording was so vague, I didn't really worry over details.

"Have you been busy with your new comeback?" I asked, striking up some conversation. Yesung nodded raising his eyebrows as he took a biscuit from the table.

"Yeah... But it's quieter than usual. Especially with Kyu and Ryeo are away because of military. Though we do see them when something comes up." He sounded rather forlorn at this. The group's moral must have been dropping, but that only indicated a family like bond. "And Heechul's been so distant lately... I wonder why." The lump in Leeteuk throat bobbed. This cause me to become anxious.

"Have you heard of Jung Chiyeul?" Leeteuk asked, again to me directly.

"Yeah, but he seems like a complete sleaseball. I heard what had happened on the news with Misun." I said, not really thinking much of the guy. "Why do you ask?"

Before Leeteuk spoke, Heechul walked in carrying a number of shopping bags. I felt my face light up after being denied his presence so long. It was like a sun covered me with a warm blanket. I was happy to just see him, but it wasn't satisfactory enough - I wanted to talk, to laugh like we used to. And then he turned to me with a stern look. A look that I'd never seen him wear before. I was completely taken off guard; I felt guilty for something I never knew I'd done.

"[Name]. Could we talk for a second?" I nodded, leaving Nari on her own with the two gentlemen. He opened the door, and we left.

***

We reached a small bridge before he stopped. The water running below us seems to fill my ears with a tumultuous shrill. The dry metal of the railing sucked the heat from my hand, while the sun did nothing to replace that forgotten warmth. Autumn had begun.

His hand led mine away from the cage, holding it with a caring grip as a harsh yellow light began to fade into a soothing blanket. My heart jumped at his change in tone, just like that of the sun.

"I want to ask you something. Please don't be taken back. You're the only one..." Heechul looked at me, the first time I'd seen his smile for weeks. He was beautiful when I smiled, but I just couldn't push away the pit in my stomach telling me it was just a comforting tool. "Would you be in our music video?"