Chapter Six: The Start of a New Chapter

Running a hand threw her hair, Viola bit her lip as she watched Lionel collect her suitcase for her; she knew without looking that people were staring at them.

Matías stood next to her, as if trying to act as some sort of barrier between her and the people around her; who seemed more interested in Lionel than who was traveling with him.

“Remember lovely happy couple,” Matías muttered making his younger brother roll his eyes before he linked fingers with Viola, who offered him a small smile; she knew that this was the easiest way to break the news of their engagement to the world.

“You okay?” Lionel asked making Viola nod as she made sure that they had everything before they started to prepare to leave the airport; he knew that this would probably be overwhelming for her.

“Just a little tired,” Viola replied as they started to make their way out of the airport, the brunette felt Lionel let go of her hand and wrap an arm around their waist as they exited the airport; there was a moment of peace before people started to talk.

“Messi, can I have your autograph?”

“Messi, who is she?”

“What happened with Antonella?”

The questions were hurled at them but they kept going until they reached Lionel’s white Q7, which was parked nearby with Matías’ wife Florencia, who flashed her husband a small smile as she opened the boot for the luggage to be put inside.

Lionel never left Viola’s side for a moment until they were in the car; he acted like a caring fiancé towards her making the story believable that he did love her.

“That went better than expected,” Florencia said making Matías smile and nod at her as the car pulled out of the airport car park and started on its drive to Lionel’s home in Castelldefels.

Viola shifted nervously as she realised that this would be her life now, she would be hounded by the press because of her engagement to Lionel.

Florencia looked at her brother-in-law as if attempting to encourage him to speak with Viola, she could see the awkwardness between them and she knew that they needed to work on it.

“So Viola… we should get together some time, I could show you around Barcelona,” Florencia offered when she realised that the couple weren’t going to play nice and get along right now.

She remembered being in Viola’s position and she hated to think the brunette would be going through this alone.

“That would be nice, Gracias,” Viola said making Florencia nod while Matías glared at his brother through the rear view mirror.

He knew that Lionel was trying but he was going to have to try harder if he wanted to fool the press; they couldn't have the real reason that he was with Viola revealed, it would only cause trouble.

***

“You’ll both be sharing a bedroom,” Matías said as he walked into Lionel’s home, Viola and Lionel stopped walking to look at him a little dumbfounded as they realised that he’d be staying with them to make sure that they shared a bedroom.

Viola bit her lip as she glanced at Lionel, who looked as if he wanted to say something and thought against it as Matías glared at him.

“Viola, why don’t I show you to the bedroom… I think most of your stuff arrived,” Florencia said as she ushered the brunette upstairs and away from the two men, it was clear that they were going to argue about the sleeping arrangements.

As soon as Florencia and Viola were out of the room, Matías sighed and looked at his brother who was glaring at him; Lionel wasn’t happy about what was happening and he didn't want to share a bed with Viola.

“Leo… they’ll expect you both to have a baby shortly after the wedding, you might as well get used to this,” Matías said making Lionel stare at him as his words sunk in.

He had known that his parents were expecting him to father a child with Viola, but he hadn’t expected it to be so soon after the wedding.

“Leo, Viola is your fiancée and I know this is a shock for the both of you but you might as well get on with it; you are getting married, you will be expected to have children together,” Matías said as he watched Lionel sit down as the news sunk in about what was expected of him and Viola.

Meanwhile upstairs, Florencia smiled as she led Viola into the master bedroom where the brunette was happy to find Marley waiting for her; picking the kitten close Viola held her close.

“Your clothes are on the left side of the wardrobe…” Florencia said as she watched Viola move to sit on the bed, it was clear that the brunette was still completely unsettled about what was happening and Florencia didn't blame her.

She had been the same when she’d learnt that she was expected to marry Matías, but she’d been allowed to get to know him before their marriage.

“Viola, if you ever need someone to talk to… I’m here for you,” Florencia said making the brunette look at her and smile at her softly as she cuddled Marley.

She knew that this was her life now and there was no changing it no matter how much she wished that she could.

“Leo’s a really nice guy once you get to know him… I’m sure you two will be happy one day,” Florencia said making Viola look at her before Matías appeared and smiled at his wife, who grinned at the sight of him; it gave Viola a little bit of hope for her future with Lionel.

***

Later that evening, Viola settled into bed wearing her rose princesse tam-tam suspense PJ set which she was thankful that she had in the warm June night; fishing out her book, she’d been reading on the plan and settled down as Lionel stepped out of the en-suite bathroom.

The two of them weren’t still on good talking terms and Viola doubted that it wouldn’t take time for the two of them to get used to each other; she glanced at Lionel as he climbed into bed and settled next to her.

“One of my team-mates is getting married next month…” the argentine said making Viola look at him, she had a feeling that she knew where this was going.

“I’ll have to go with you,” Viola guessed making Lionel nod as he thought back to his team-mates questions about why he had broken things off with Antonella; only Gerard and Cesc had been told the truth about his arranged marriage to Viola.

“It’s the 8th of July,” Lionel said making Viola nod as she thought about what she would wear for the occasion.

She felt horrible that she’d not gotten the chance to get to know Lionel before this and now she was going to turn up at a wedding where she knew no one, not even the bride or groom.

The two sat in silence as Viola tried to figure out what she was going to do about the wedding while Lionel tried to ignore the awkwardness that was around them.

“Buenas noches,” Lionel said before he turned on his side facing away from Viola, who looked at him as she settled down for bed; the brunette had a feeling that he wasn’t going to warm up to her anytime soon.

“Dulces sueños,” Viola replied as she closed her book and slide down the bed, she glanced at Lionel for a moment before she turned away from him and sighed.