Internship

It's been about a week since we moved to Boston. We haven't been doing much since. Throughout the week, Aunt Cynthia and Kyle have been at work. The only thing me and Hazel have been doing is finishing chores or watching TV. Sometimes, Aunt Cynthia and Kyle will work at the same time, so it'll usually be just Hazel and me, home alone. I was tired of staying at home and doing nothing all day. I wanted to spend my vacation with something exciting before school started. The only thing that kept me entertained was watching my favorite TV show, "Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman".

One early morning, at eight, we all got up for breakfast, as usual. Aunt Cynthia went outside to get her daily newspapers, while I stayed with Kyle to help make breakfast. We were having pancakes and toast that morning. When breakfast was ready, we all sat down at the dining table together. I was pouring syrup on my pancakes and Aunt Cynthia was drinking coffee while reading her newspaper.

" So, Kyle, do you have any appointments with clients today?" Aunt Cynthia asked.

"Yeah, I am a lawyer. Why?" he responded.

"Do you mind giving me a ride to work, dear?" she asked.

"Sure, just let me finish," he replied.

"Wait, the both of you are leaving, again?" I asked.

"Yeah, sorry, Ruby. We have been very busy." Kyle replied.

"I'm ready now." Aunt Cynthia said. She left her newspaper on the table

"Okay, let's go." They were heading out the front door.

"What are we suppose to do while you're gone?" I asked.

"Maybe you can get a job." Aunt Cynthia sarcastically replied.

"You can, I don't know, wash the dishes for us, okay? We gotta go now. Bye!" He slammed the door shut. I sighed.

"What's wrong, Ruby?" Hazel asked.

"Nothing is just that I don't want to be locked in this house all summer long. I want to explore Boston." I explained.

"You know, if you want to walk around Boston, the front door is right there. I'm not stopping you," she replied.

"Yeah, but I want to do it with Kyle and Aunt Cynthia. We barely even spend time together now." I replied.

"I mean, they're just doing what they have to do to provide for this house, Ruby. There are plenty of things you can do while they're gone," she said.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Well, you can clean up the house. You can do research about your school..."

I zoned out while she was listing things I can do while they're at work. Instead of paying attention to Hazel, I was turning pages of Aunt Cynthia's morning newspapers. Most of it was about the latest news; the rest was just a bunch of coupons and advertisements. While I was flipping through the pages, something did catch my attention. One of the pages made me so excited, it was too perfect for me.

"I can become an intern," I added.

"Wait, what?" Hazel asked.

"Take a look at this," I replied.

I introduced her to the page that I was so interested in. The title said "Want to be an intern? We have the solution for you!". The "Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman" logo was on the page. It then explains that Mr. Ruffman, the game host, was looking for a new intern. The page then reads "Anyone can sign up! Just give us a call and we'll make arrangements for an interview. Apply today!".

"What's this?" Hazel asked.

"This is what I want to do in my spare time," I said.

"You want to be an intern with Ruff Ruffman?" she sounded confused.