Autumn Begans

A month later, summer was coming to an end.  The leaves from trees started to change color but haven't started falling off yet. The temperature started dropping but was still fairly warm. I started going back to school at the beginning of September. The dress code for my school was the same for my old school; we had to wear uniforms. There was band rehearsal before school every day, so I had to get up pretty early. I don't hate nor love school; I feel pretty neutral about it.

Whenever we can, Hazel and I would go to Ruff's doghouse. I would usually call Henry to let him know about school and unexpected band schedules. Personally, I have never talked or seen him in person. I don't even know what he looks like. I never really question it much, but I was still wondering how does he look like. Is he tall? Is he a dog? A cat? A human? Something else? Does he have a beard? I'm too afraid to ask him these types of questions over the phone, honestly. It does feel a little bit awkward.

For now, we were all waiting for the season two finale that was airing next month. It was a pretty big deal because it was going to be the first time that we were going live in Studio G. I was hyped about it and wanted next month to come pretty soon. Hazel just wanted a new season to come already since this usually happens once a year.

On one Saturday morning, I got up from bed to go to Ruff's doghouse. Hazel was already downstairs. I quickly got dressed to go to the kitchen. It was around nine o'clock, so Kyle was awake to go to work. Aunt Cynthia worked a long shift the previous day, so she was sleeping in.

"Hey, Kyle, what's for breakfast?" I asked.

"Scrambled eggs, again. We don't have much food. I'm going to pick up some groceries on my way back. There's one more greek yogurt in the fridge if you want it," he said.

"I'll eat it later," I replied, "Aren't you going to eat?"

"I already did, he stated, "By the way, are you going to your friend's house today?"

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"I was just making sure. Be back by nine o'clock," he said while checking his watch," I gotta go right now if I want to get there on time. Bye, Ruby." He was out the door and drove away.

"So, Hazel, are you excited?" I asked.

"About what?" she questioned.

"The finale," I responded.

"Oh, yeah," she responded.

"I'm so excited! I can't wait for season three to start!" I exclaimed.

"When does it air?" she asked.

"Ruff said the first Sunday of October, so the grand prize will be delivered to us sometime before that day. I obviously don't have to go to a school that Sunday," I replied.

"We still have plenty of time before then. It's still the middle of September," she said.

"It's always a good idea to plan ahead of time," I said.

"So, what's the grand prize?" she asked.

"I don't know, really. Ruff won't tell me," I replied.

"I guess it's a surprise to the winner," she replied.

"By the way, today's the last day we're going to have any paperwork from season two. From tomorrow until the day of the grand finale, we're going to start planning," I explained.

"Well, come on now. Let's go," she said.

"Yeah, let's go, "I replied.

I quickly washed the plate, grabbed my backpack, and we were heading out. It was a sunny, but windy day. The temperature was around sixty degrees, so it wasn't that warm anymore. As soon as I saw the leaves from the trees start falling, I knew that autumn finally arrived. For me, it was pretty satisfying watching the seasons tradition from one to the other. I was already thinking about Christmas. I just couldn't wait to see Sadie, Kyle, Hazel, me, Aunt Cynthia and Dad come together.

Later, when we arrived at the doghouse, it was a mess. There was paper, Chinese-takeout boxes, and confetti all over the floor. Blossom was on her laptop and Ruff was next to the Fetch 3000.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Oh, you guys are here. Great. We were just testing the confetti poppers for the finale. We only have twelve days left. There's still some paperwork from season two that you need to finish," Ruff said.

"What about the confetti on the floor?" I asked.

"Oh, yeah. Clean it up for me," Ruff said.

"Do you want me to throw it away?" I asked.

"No, sweetie, just put it back in the poppers. They're reusable," he explained. He handed me a dustpan.

"Okay," I replied, "Hazel, hold the dustpan down on the floor. I'll sweep up the confetti."

It took us a while to clean up all of the confetti on the floor. It was everywhere. Confetti is really hard to clean up. Some got stuck to my clothes. Glitter is worse, though. Sure it's pretty and shiny, but it manages itself to get everywhere if it wanted to. Confetti is easier to handle.

We poured all of the confetti we collected on the floor back in the cannons. Afterward, we got back to working on the paperwork left over. It only took us an hour to finish. Usually, it takes up to five to six hours to finish. There were those few days when it took us only three to four hours. It usually depended on what's going on that day. As soon as I stored that last file away in its cabin, it was the best feeling I've ever had. All of the stress from season two went away from my body.

"Done. We're finally finished," I said.

"After the finale, season two is out of our systems," Hazel added.

"Ruff, we're done! We're gonna start helping with the finale!" I exclaimed.

All I did was make a checklist for the supplies we needed for the finale. Hazel told me the item and I checked it off the list. Then, we helped Ruff store everything in the basement until the day of the finale. All we needed was the grand prize. We still had to wait until it was delivered to us.

Through my whole time being an intern for Ruff, there was only one thing that really bothered me. It was the way Ruff treated Blossom. He doesn't seem to like her, I thought. Personally, I do like her around. Is it because she's a cat? I did remember Ruff saying that he dislikes cats. I feel bad for her, honestly. Hopefully in season three, maybe things can work out better for her.