Blitz

We heard a knocking at the door. I ran to the front door to see who it was. When I opened it, no one was there. I looked down to see a small package. That's suspicious, I thought. I don't think anyone in this household was expecting any package delivered to them, but it could be important. I took it inside.

"Who was it?" Hazel asked.

"I don't know, but they left this," I replied, showing her the package.

"Did you order something online?" she asked.

"No. It could be Kyle's," I said.

"What does it say on the label?" She questioned.

"It says it's for...me? It's from my secret admirer. Oh, I hope is Athena who sent this. I mean let's open it," I said.

I got a pair of scissors and started cutting off the tape that sealed the box. As soon as I opened it, we were blasted with a white powder. It was all over the kitchen and table. On top of that, the box started playing really annoying disco music. It definitely wasn't from Athena.

"What is this stuff?" Hazel asked.

"I don't know!" I exclaimed. I got some of it, sniffed it and tasted it. "It tastes like powdered sugar."

"At least it's not dangerous. Also, please turn off the music!" Hazel exclaimed.

I grabbed the box and started banging it on the floor several times before throwing it outside. We spent over an hour trying to clean up all if the powdered sugar. We were by ourselves, so it took us even longer. Kyle and Aunt Cynthia were working; Sadie already flew back to Texas. It was only two days after New Year's Day, which means we had to go back to work.

We left as soon as possible after we cleaned the kitchen. We still had a bit of the powdered sugar still on us. It was already one o'clock and we had to be there at twelve. The cleanup made us late. The weather slowed us down a bit. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out who sent that package to us. Why did they do that? Was it all just a prank? I've never heard anything about this, so we could be the only ones. There has to be an explanation for it. We quickly rushed to Ruff's doghouse.

"What took you so long?" Ruff asked.

"There was just a messy situation at home," I replied.

"By the way, guess what? I sent some flowers to Charlene today. She's gonna love them," he said.

"But it's winter," I said.

"Well, not real flowers, but they look and feel like the real thing. She's gonna love them." The phone started ringing. "Chet, can you hand me the phone. It's from Charlene." Chet handed him the phone. "Charlene, I can see that you're calling about those flowers I sent to you. Do you like them?" While she was responding, Ruff had a confused look on his face. "What do you mean you got blasted with white powder? What disco music? I didn't send that." She hung up the phone.

"What happened?" Hazel asked.

"She told me she didn't get flowers. Instead, the owner sent a package and when she opened it, she was covered in white powder and annoying disco music," Ruff explained.

"Wait a minute, that happened with us. I found a package outside and when we brought it in, the exact same thing happened. This white powder is just powdered sugar, by the way," I explained.

"I'm gonna have to call the shop to tell them what happened," Ruff said.

"It wasn't them who sent that package to Charlene. There is someone out there who's doing this," I replied.

"But who exactly?" Hazel asked.

Blossom tapped my shoulder. She showed me a newspaper that came out yesterday. It talked about the mysterious crook who's leaving packages around Boston with no explanation. There have been sightings of them, but no actual picture of their face.