Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Me and Menodora decided to not walk since walking in high heels on a

rocky road just to go see your date wasn’t smart. We would end up with bruises all over our feet. Menodora took some pocket money and invited me to take a cab. I never liked cabs. They always smelled like smoke or like wine. Anyways, it was a sickening smell. But I figured that it was better than walking about five miles with sandals. It was as bad as high heels since rocks kept coming in the shoe easier than with high heels. I actually felt happiness and was proud to not wear high heels since I probably wouldn’t have had the best date. I had big chances of tripping every step I took. Golden sandals weren’t that bad.

- So, ladies. Where you leavin’ to? asked the cab driver.

He had a beard and was smoking, which I already guessed.

- Pocono Restaurant, said Menodora.

I put my head against the back seat. Menodora sat in front because she was the oldest, and let me tell you, I absolutely hate that rule. That the older kids make up just to be in front. Pathetic. Not very different from Menodora.

- That’d be five bucks. You ladies have enough there, in these little dresses of yours?

He had a heavy accent and the more he talked, the more sickening the smell got in the car. Menodora shook her small black purse I hadn’t noticed. Coins jingled.

The driver smiled and pushed the pedal.

I didn’t know the driver’s name, but you absolutely didn’t want to go in his cab. One, there was an infected smell of smoke and two, he drives like a drunk. Maybe he was actually drunk, and that wouldn’t surprise me. So here’s an advice, don’t let a drunk man drive.

Ever.

I think Menodora even got car sick. I could’ve sworn her face turned green at some point. And I probably banged my head twice against the window. Even the seatbelt didn’t keep me still.

He stopped the car and I looked at the restaurant.

People were still eating outside, and I spotted Colin Travis with Ian. I got out of the car and helped Menodora out since her legs were unstable and she had high heels. You know, I like making big deals about high heels. She got out a five dollar bill and I realised it quicker than the cab driver.

It was fake money.

It looked real, but I’ve known money for all my life so far. I remember that the five dollar bills have a drawing of an arena rink with many kids. More than the fake one, which had only three.

- Thank you, have a fun night ladies.

And with these last words, the man drove off and I figured that he wouldn’t survive the night. Menodora was able to walk again. And while we were walking towards the boys, I whispered to her:

- That was fake money, eh?

She stopped and grinned at me.

- He doesn’t deserve the money, she said simply.

- I don’t even think he’ll be alive tomorrow.

She giggled and I smirked. Then, all my attention turned to Ian.

He was wearing a suit, and I smiled at him to show him that I appreciated it. he smiled back, a rose in his hands. I start blushing before I even talked to him. Colin Travis and Menodora were already by a table, talking and me and Ian were still standing in the doorway.

- Hey, I said.

Hey? What a stupid move. Way to go, Diana! And you call yourself the couple expert.