Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Menodora was freaked out. I was covered in blood and she thought it was

mine. I explained my friends the situation. I decided to add Cassandra and Kailee’s visit.

- And who is she? asked Menodora, pointing at Ismania.

She’s a prophet.

A prophet.

She could break Menodora’s spell! Why didn’t I think of that?

- Menodora. This is Ismania.

She just nodded.

- And she’s a prophet, I quickly added with a squeaky voice.

Her eyes widened and she flung herself at me.

- Thank you! Thank you! OOOOH!

Ian smiled at me. I smiled back and Colin Travis was happy as well. Wow, Colin Travis smile? Rare, very. Ismania was quite confused and Menodora explained her as fast as she could why she was so special.

- But I’m inexperienced, said Ismania.

Menodora didn’t change. Her eyes wide open, teeth exposed and happier than ever.

- I’ll train you. You’ll go down in history, darling!

We laughed and Ismania smiled at me.

- I am happy that I left Arthur. Though I wish Cecelia would have come.

- I do too, I told her.

Colin Travis and Ian explained their stories. Why they were immortal and all.

- A son of Hades? Arthur found one lately. Tracked one, actually. In Fiji.

I was glad Ismania was a smart girl because we could really use her.

Anyway, everyone seemed happy that Ismania was on our side. Menodora and her were getting pretty close. I went to sleep and I ran into Ian in the corridor.

- Hey, I said the same thing I did on our first date.

He kissed me.

I enjoyed it, but I knew why he was doing that. I brought hope to all of the family.

I found Ismania in my room and she questioned me about the baby. Ismania met Kyle and adored him.

In the night, I met Cassandra. I already knew why she’d come. Her figure appeared alone, so I knew that no other sea angel was going to appear with her. It was just me and her tonight.

That night, she wore a braid in her hair. She really looked like a princess of Troy. She looked like Apollo’s real wife. But she wasn’t.

If she was here, it was certainly for a good cause. All that’s been happening to Ian, Menodora and Colin Travis isn’t just a coincidence. I knew that my living and death will not go unseen. I was here for an important reason, whatever that reason was.

Cassandra approached towards me and tried to touch me, but her hand just went through. She couldn’t touch me since she was a spirit, not a living thing.

- You aren’t like her. Like Annie. She didn’t listen to me and tried to kill me. You are more like Artemis, darkling.

Like Artemis. But Artemis was the one who made us all, the mistakes of nature. Was it supposed to be a compliment or an insult.

- What do you want, Cassandra?

She started to fade.

- You might want to see your parents. And fast.

She left.

What did she me by my parents? Should I go? Should I wait? Fear and confusion invaded my emotions and I felt like throwing up. I had no idea whether to trust her or not. But why would she lie, anyway? She didn’t want to lose my trust, that was for sure. I had to sneak out, whether Menodora likes it or not.

It wasn’t that hard. Of course, it got harder in the hallway because of the dark and I couldn’t see where I was. A stumbled once or twice on the wall. I heard footsteps and I hid into the closet. I never knew who it was, but it was probably someone getting a glass of milk. Once the footsteps echoed away in the opposite direction, I opened the door gently and closed it without making a noise. I ran to my house, who cared about what the police said? I had to know what happened to my parents. Or maybe it was a practical joke, which I doubted.

I came closer and a smell of smoke was infesting the air. Glass shattered. My house was light, very light.

It was on fire.

I rushed inside. My dad, was he okay? My mom? I worried less about my dad since he was the Black Star, but my mom was inexperienced. The fire couldn’t kill me and it didn’t hurt me either. My mom was lying on the ground, her skin blacker than her hair. I was too late.

I hoped my dad would be alive. But he was beside my mom, with a shining knife in his stomach.

Arthur wouldn’t have done it. He couldn’t. My dad killed himself once he saw his lover dead. But why did he leave me alone?

A note on my parents bodies. The writing was made with ink and it was still fresh, which meant that the person who wrote it didn’t do it a long time ago. It was obvious who’d done the note. Arthur. But how did he know?

I read the note and it explained all my question.

It said the thing that Menodora wouldn’t have like at all.

Suspect n*10

THE END...FOR NOW