Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The question was : who to blame it on? The answer was harder. Debby Rae? Would she even care? Maybe one of the Black sisters. Annabelle Trifocal seemed like a good call. Yes, she was perfect. Every proof was in her, her magic and all.

I knew it wasn’t nice and it would make me look bad, but did I really have a choice? I couldn’t show myself, that would just be unfair.

Annabelle it is.

The night was gloomy and misty and I was glad I didn’t have to sneak out. Menodora accepted the fact to blame another girl since I had to be protected. I brought Artemidoros in case anything wrong happened. By wrong, I meant if Annabelle really was a witch…

Ian didn’t dare to come, but Kyle joined me with joy. He promised he wouldn’t do any noise or take anything, but you never knew about Ian and Kyle these days. As promised, every step he took was discrete.

I knew where Annabelle’s house was. Entering her house was easy, but her room was different. The door was locked and I didn’t know any charms to open it. It took us about fifteen minutes to find the key. Once I opened Annabelle’s room, it shocked me. Ever wall was braided with branches and hanging from them were dolls with needles in them. What did witches call those? The dolls they used to pretend it was a real person and put needles in them. None of them were recognisable, so it was probably just toys. The bed was a carpet with salt around it.

To chase the evil spirits.

Kyle led me towards her and told me that he would guard the entrance. I just hoped that Annabelle wouldn’t wake up and recognise me. I knelt down beside her laying body and murmured in the softest whisper I could do:

- Reprehendo in eius.

A black mist which I supposed was my blood colour enveloped Annabelle. Her brown hair, her brown eyes and her pale skin.

A red one came out of her like a ghost would come out of his body and did the same with me. I didn’t feel anything, but I knew that she would feel some pain once she woke up. I got up and turned sharply towards the door. I noticed another dangling doll with a needle in it’s heart, neck and head. I read the label on it.

Arthur Underwood

She hated him too. I couldn’t blame her, especially because now, she would be hunted by him.

Kyle was outside, playing with his hair.

- Should I cut it? he asked me in a soft voice.

- It doesn’t matter. Let’s go back home.

He got up from the chair he was sitting on and left the house before me. I thought about it. Right there, in the house. Standing in the middle of the stairs.

Arthur’s other tests.

He was going to kill all of us.

He was going to kill every suspect until the last one standing would be the Black Star because the Black Star cannot die without the Circle being complete.

I had to warn him.

How? With telepathy.

I was able, Menodora taught me. I didn’t mind doing it in the house. But would they hear? The people who lived here? I took the risk.

I concentrated hard on Arthur. On his thoughts about the Black Star. On the suspects.

- Arthur.

He heard me. Though it hurt doing it. I used all my energy just to say his name. That meant that I couldn’t deliver my message to him. I had to write it down. On a paper.

After writing it on a paper I found at Menodora’s, I had to teleport myself to his room.

One false blood spilled tomorrow at three, and you will meet your doom. I will make sure you will regret it.

- BS

That was the message. He understood that if he killed any of them, I would make him regret it.

The paper was cool, folded it into two and put a mark on it. The same mark on Kyle’s wrist which represented him. Which would represent the Black Star.

And with that, I put it in his room. It was really easy, ignoring the fact he wasn’t there. I heard footsteps and turned invisible and I saw Arthur’s reaction when he read the letter. All is done.

Tomorrow was going to be just fine.