Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

That’s a quote I didn’t believe and thought it was clumsy. But look where I ended up now.

I was in the library.

Menodora had visions alright. Bad ones.

Kyle was kidnapped by the Circle of Dawn in the first one. However she told me that he looked sixteen, so I had some time to choose the right path. Though the second one was the one that troubled me the most.

Ella was going to betray me. Menodora doesn’t remember much, but she remembered Ella killing me. And it ended there. She had no idea what my position was like. But she knew that it was me that Ella wanted to kill. And somehow succeeded. Ian looked upset and tears went down his cheek. Colin Travis and my mentor went up to check on Kyle while I was left alone with Ian. More tears streaming down his face.

- Ian, don’t do that.

He wiped his tears when he heard my voice. Though I still saw the sorrowfulness in his eyes.

- Stop doing what, Diana? Stop troubling myself? Stop caring for you? What else should I do? Tell me. Please do.

He was now shouting through his shaken voice.

- Stop thinking that I’ll die, I told him.

I sat next to him on the red couch.

His blue eyes reached mine. He wiped his eyes and looked at the book on the table.

History of Black Stars

- You’re going to be the last one, you know, he said, watching the fairies take the heavy book away.

I bit my lip and nodded. I took his hand as a token of my affection.

Then, my heart was beating loud.

I’d already taken his hand before and I had no explanation why I was stressed now. Maybe it was because his eyes were locked with mine. His face came closer and he took his hand out of mine. I let him touch my cheek. He put a streak of my hair behind my ear and immediately, our lips reached.

We kissed.

But only a brush on the lips. It was fast, but gentle.

Then, our eyes met again.

- I’ll be okay. I promise you, I whispered.

He nodded and we spent the rest of the night together. One thing: The best night of my life.

The next morning, Menodora told me that I could go to that diving session of mine. She winked as I left.

It was obvious that she knew what me and Ian were doing last night. But I didn’t really care, not at this moment anyway.

No school. Just my last session of diving.

So why did I feel so much like vomiting all over. Menodora told me that she’d recently seen a mark on Kyle’s hand. It looked like a star in a way. She promised me to send a picture of it, since it was the sign of the Black Star. It meant that he was on my side. Probably because he thought I was his mommy. Regret, misery and resentment were the only things I felt and I certainly didn’t feel like taking care of a baby. And I won’t have time to be a mommy either. So I took the long road to the pool, trying to empty my thoughts with Black Star nonsense.

The session wasn’t that bad. I took away my fears by jumping off the ten meter, the highest diving board in the pool.

I knew that I wouldn’t die because I could only die by magic and al of that nonsense. I felt worse than a vampire. Worse than hell. In fact, if I had the choice, I would go to hell right away.