Chapter 22

Chapter 22

It was Monday and it was five in the morning. You might call us lunatics, since we only slept two hours per night. Kyle slept five. He went asleep at eleven and woke up an hour ago. I bet your parents didn’t let you do that when you were five. In about three hours, I had to go to school once again. I had to lie to my friend Cecelia. And even so I was a suspect, Arthur never his eye on me. 

Literally.

But I wasn’t the only one who was suspected. Amazing Arthur killed nine other children’s parents just because they were suspected. I was the last suspect he’d come up with.

The first suspect was Debby Rae. She was a secretive girl who only listened to punk. It seemed that she wasn’t at the meeting either. Her punk close were becoming gothic by the second. Last year, she dyed her hair pink and cut it short to her neck. She wore black lipstick and never ever talked.

The second was John Mcwendle. Yes, he was a boy, and I had no idea why he would be a suspect. I knew that, unlike Debby, he cried a lot when he saw his house crumbled to pieces. 

The third was Annabelle Trifocal, an Asian girl who’s family was descendant to an old witch family. Arthur didn’t look once at her, even though she was one of the most suspected suspects.

Four was Emma Dilauren, an amazing girl who recently had some cancer. She survived it somehow and Arthur knew that the Black Star couldn’t be killed by cancer which made her a suspect.

Number five was Kaila Tabatha, a girl who was always late at school for everything. Arthur thought that it was because she was busy doing something with someone, which brought him to the conclusion of her being a Black Star.

Six, seven and eight were the three Black sisters. Kate, Emma and Jane Black. Arthur did a really random choice on this one, I think it was only because their family names were Black.

Nine was Ismania. I have no idea why he thought that.

And ten was me, since I was offending Aurelia and because I had Black hair and “creepy” eyes. The knives he found were involved as well. I still can’t believe he put me last. But that was still an advantage for me.

Arthur didn’t pay attention to the Black sisters nor for John Mcwendle. Or me. I think that we were just random choices.

He came up to me, smiling. Hector Black—who, by the way, had no relations with the Black sisters—came up to me with a note in his hands. I noticed that every one of the suspects had the note in their hands. I smiled back to him—but this time, I didn’t try to do sarcastic. Menodora had a point. I had to gain their trust.

- You take this, sweetheart. Tomorrow, at three. Which means right after school. Don’t bring anything with you.

I took the folded paper and added:

- What should I bring, anyway?

He grinned and left me with the paper. I slowly opened it, taking all the time in the world. I read every word as slow as I could.

Gathering of the Black Star

As you’ve certainly noticed, you are suspected to be the Black Star. Please report to the gymnasium at 3:00 p.m., which means right after school. If you do not show up, you shall be hunted down and killed along with the rest of your treasured family. You shall place yourselves in an organized line in the back of the gym. The school will be watching. The Circle will be watching. I will be watching.

Sincerely,

Arthur.   

I noticed a “P.S.” in the bottom of his letter.