Chapter 24

Chapter 24

School was easy. I waited until I heard the bell which marked the end of it. Cecelia gave me a good-luck-and-just-to-remind-you-I-am-neutral look. If anything wrong happened, I would confuse myself and her. I noticed Annabelle rubbing her back. She was exhausted, and it was my fault. We exchanged blood, anyway. You couldn’t expect her to not feel anything weird. My phone buzzed. Menodora.

Ian read the spell wrong. You have two hours before it wears off, Diana. If anything goes wrong, just send me a S.O.S.

Great. Was Ian playing with me? Ugh. Two hours.

- Where’s the scratch?

Arthur came up to me. I never liked it when he was face to face with me.

- Fading. Annabelle helped me with it. Her mom was a nurse.

I insisted on the was because it was Arthur’s fault she was dead.

But I was lying, Annabelle never helped me. Better if he didn’t know.

- Come with me, darling.

I never liked the way he talked with me, whether he was nice or not. He led me in the gym with the rest of the school. The Circle of Dawn was in a line on a stage. The rest of the suspects were already in a line as well, at the other end of the gym. The school was divided in two, at each of our sides. Arthur left to sit on a chair put in the center of the line of the Circle of Dawn. Two guards were at the end of the suspect’s line. I was the last one at the right. Debby was at the right, the first one. I see John Mcwendle, but my mind was focused on Annabelle. She had put her hair in a braid and was leaning on John. Her hand was resting on the side of her back. I checked the clock.

One hour and forty six minutes.

Arthur started with his speech.

- So, as you all know, I have suspected ten people of being the Black Star or an ally with her.

He paused. Of course, how could I forget? The letter. He was worried about the letter.

- No false blood shall be spilled.

Aurelia frowned and whispered in Arthur’s ear and he whispered her back and answer. She gasped in surprise and revealed to the school what Arthur told her.

- The Black Star threatened him!

Big gasps in the room and people whispering to each other.

- She said that she would kill him if we found her true identity!

What? What was she saying? I never wrote that. I mean, it’s true, I would kill him if he knew what I was, I couldn’t just stand there and watch him kill me and congratulate him. But that was not what I wrote on the letter. That just proves, ladies and gentlemen, that Arthur was the biggest liar there could ever be.

- Take the blood of each suspects. We shall see who has Black Star blood in them.

The guards advanced towards Debby first. I noticed Hector and Rowena. Hector pulled out two needles, sharp as a blade and insert one in Debby’s left arm. Rowena after put something in there system. I was able to identify it. It was a patch of water. But why?

To help them.

Arthur probably thought that it was poison or something. For once, I was proud of Rowena and Hector.

- Owww!

They all cried in pain. The public laughed at them.

When Hector’s needle came to Annabelle, my heart was waving. Like a boat in the middle of a wavy ocean in a storm. He put the needle in her left arm and she tried to hold back tears. Blood went up and the public murmured in surprise. Arthur got up from his chair.