Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I kicked every rock in my way, wondering every time what would happen

if they knew that I was the Black Star. Would they save me? Kill me? Maybe they’d keep it a secret from the relative, but it would surprise me. Maybe one of my friends would keep the secret…but not Hector, that’s for sure. he already hated me. Maybe not Rowena. Jason? I wasn’t sure.

Once the pebbles led me to the school, I saw that my friends were in the corner with a bunch of other people, including Hector. Ella was crying in another corner, far away from them. She was chained. Where were the teachers? Couldn’t they see that she was in pain? I swiftly and cautiously ran to Ella, who immediately stopped crying when I arrived.

- What do you want? she said painfully, trying to hide her tears.

- Stop faking. I know that I’m the…you know what.

She looked up at me and smiled at me.

- So you understand why…

- Why you left me?

- Because I had to keep Jason away from you, yes.

- And you did an amazing job.

She smiled again, and this time, I smiled back at her. Then, I asked her:

- Where are the teachers.

- Killed. By the relative and Hector. They want to make school as a bait. And, well, me.

- Hey! HEY!

It was Hector. He was running at me. I couldn’t run away, it would be too obvious that I was helping Ella.

- You can’t talk to her. She’s an accomplice with the Black Star, he said panting.

- Black Star?

I acted surprised.

- You don’t know…

- I couldn’t go to your special meeting, my mom got sick and I stayed home, I said a little to fast.

- Oh. Do you want Jason to…

- Nah. Ella told me everything. About the Black Star, I mean…

I broke off. My wording was getting to obvious and awkward. He cocked his head and stared at me.

- Have we met? he said, pointing at me.

- Once, but it was short. I was in the washroom, during recess.

He sighed, and laughed.

- Oh yeah, you.

I smiled at him weirdly, but he left after all, telling me to stay away from Ella. Once he left, I mentally cursed at him and at myself for practically revealing my identity. I waved briefly at Ella, telling her that I’d do something to save her.

Why did they kill the teachers? How evil was that when they were trying to do good? Wasn’t I supposed to be evil? But…I wasn’t, was I? I killed a nine year old, I don’t really think that I’m the nicest person either. I looked at Jason and compared him to Ian since I had nothing else to do.

Then, I realised that these two boys were very much alike. Ian was the darkness to my light and Jason was the light to my evil. They were both hot, awesome and loving. But which one was better?

I pushed the thought. Let it sink down before Ismania could doubt me as she came with Aurelia and Cecelia.

- Where were you? asked Aurelia. You missed quite some stuff.

- It’s okay. I talked with Hector. So, prophet, eh? I told Ismania.

She blushed.

- A nymph and Aphrodite’s messenger. Quite some stuff I’ve been missing.

My friends laughed and smiled and we talked. I wasn’t sure about what, but it was good to have friends with you to cheer you up. But Ella, I felt so guilty…

For that reason, I wanted to convince Menodora to let me save Ella.