Chapter 32

Chapter 32

I was in Greece a day ago and yet it seemed different from the last time I was there. It was maybe because I was in Arthur’s arms and I was blindfolded and he was holding a knife at my throat. I didn’t know where I was but the smell said it all. I figured that we were in La Fin de Faim and that all the people were staring at us.

It started with silence so that people could register in their minds what was happening. Then, a heard someone get up and I recognised George’s voice.

- Is that the Black Star?

I felt Arthur’s breath against my throat and it made me tense a bit.

- Yes. As you promised.

- You mean…you’re going to kill her? Why not right now?

People agreed with George.

And to their surprise, including my own, I answered his question.

- Arthur cannot kill me without the Circle of Dawn united in one place. And because I’m the last one, angel boy will have to use magic to eliminate me.

I grin even though I know that Arthur as staring at me.

- Why are you so fat? laughed Rob to break the silence.

Everyone laughed at that and some spat loudly on the floor.

Arthur laughed quietly.

-I’m going to enjoy their reaction, he whispered in my ear.

My face tightened and my eyes stung me. I wanted to cry so badly, but I was too afraid. Of Arthur.

- Gentlemen, he said.

They turned to see him. The laughing stopped.

- She’s not fat. You see, Artemis’s relative didn’t eat more than the usual over the past few days. In fact, she’s been eating less.

That confused the men and I couldn’t help but silently grin at their reaction. I turned my face away so they wouldn’t see it.

- My dear gentlemen. Lady Diana is pregnant.

Silence. I heard glass shatter. Somebody had probably dropped their glass. Arthur gently turned my face towards them. But I couldn’t see, I was still blindfolded. It was just so that they would see me. I held back my tears as much as I could and used Kyle’s trick and started to make jokes to change my mind.

- Can we go now? I ask lamely.

Arthur put his head on my shoulder for support. I wanted to shake it off, but the laurel juice was doing its effects. I could feel Arthur roll his eyes.

- With who, Arthur? asked Rob.

- I think I’ll answer that because Arthur just won’t stop blabbing about it.

Arthur whispered softly against my ear.

- Go ahead.

I take a deep breath and let the words out.

- Ian. The man who threatened you to not tell Arthur or else I would shatter your soul.

I stop but I wasn’t done.

- But, my dear friends, you still told him.

I couldn’t break Ian’s word.

I used my powers no matter how much it hurt me. And I still felt pride in me.

I lifted my head up and let my throat visible and letting George’s soul enter mine.

I could picture the black mist entering my mouth and George slowly dying. Black skin. White eyes. Blue veins. It was all happening. I could guess by the reaction of the audience—including Arthur’s. But I knew that I would have to pay the price for taking a life away.