Chapter Nine: I guess that's what I get for wishful thinking

Autumn's P.O.V

I open my eyes, knowing that they will be the color I was born with. Jade takes a few steps back. I hesitate because of the look on her face, but I realize that it's too late to back out now so I let my wings emerge. Jade puts as much distance between us as the room will allow. I reach for the hair band around my arms and tie up my hair so see can see my ears. Jade's eyes are so wide that it actually looks uncomfortable.

I take a step towards Jade and she throws up her hands, motioning for me to stop.

"Wh- wh- what the hell?" She says and her eyes shift between me and the tattoo on her forearm.

"You're a" - she lifts her arm up for me to see. I close my eyes and nod my head.

"There were so many times I've wanted to tell you, but how do you confess to someone that you're a freak?" I risk another step forward only to see Jade press her back harder against the headboard.

"You should leave," she says with a shaky voice.

I don't do as she says, mostly because I don't want to leave things like this, between us. I want to tell her that I've never hurt her before so I won't now either, but I just can't seem to make eye contact. I'm looking around just to avoid it, pretending that I'm looking for my shirt. I retract my wings and bend down to pick it up. When she notices that I have no intention to leave she speaks again, "Autumn you're not listening to me, you should leave. It's not safe here for you."

Jade seems to have snapped out of her funk. She knits her brows to indicate she is serious and opens the window for me.

I'm halfway out when I ask, "What's going on?"

"Just go," she gives me a little shove and shuts the window.

I'm too flabbergasted to move. I sit on the roof and watch Jade's shadow move a few times behind the curtains. It looks like she is pacing up and down. When the lights go off I take that as my cue to leave.

♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀

For the next two days I don't see Jade. She doesn't answer her phone or reply to texts. When I go over, her mom says she isn't there. And I can't go into her room through the window because she locked it. It's like she doesn't exist or at least found a magic potion to make her invisible. It's like history repeating itself; only this time I know why she is avoiding me.

What did she mean that it isn't safe for me at her house? She is too young to be a Hunter so she can't be of any danger. Fairy Hunters only activate at the age of 21, and that basically means they get told what they are and then taught how to identify Fairies so they can kill them, or something like that. But no matter what other scenario my mind comes up with, it just keeps going back to square one, only for me to dismiss the idea all over again. She must be some kind of special Hunter. But if she was a Fairy Hunter and I showed her my true form then she would've killed me on the spot without hesitation right? And if she was a Fairy Hunter, she wouldn't have been so surprised or scared when I changed. Maybe she was just surprised because she wasn't expecting me to be one.

I drop my head in my hands out of frustration.

"Miss Reed, calculus is much easier when you pay attention," Miss Frost says.

I nod my head and look at her while she continues explaining the work written on the black board.

The bell rings and Frost reminds us of the assignment that is due on Monday. I groan along with the rest of the class, but not because of the assignment itself but because my partner is too busy avoiding me even though we agreed to finish it today.