Chapter Twenty: No choice in the matter

Jade's P.O.V.

I'm running past the trees at top speed, making them look like a blurred mess. I'm running because when I got home Ace was there, looking very pleased with himself, wearing a smirk so big like he won something. He doesn't have to go to Greenwich King, his already a monster. He betrayed one of his best friends, putting her life in danger just because she kissed Sally. It's a good thing that he doesn't know that I also know Autumn is a Fairy otherwise he would've disclosed that bit of information to my mother as well.

I put on my running gear and placed my iPod in my arm pouch before my mom came home and ran out the door. I can't speak to any of them because they will tell me that the Fairy they want me to kill is someone close to me. I can't be what they want me to be, even if it is in my blood.

I decided on running in the forest so I at least get a workout in before I go to Autumn and tell her what I really am, knowing well enough that if I ran my normal route I'd stop at her house on the way there and not on the way back. I need this workout because I always feel a bit more confident afterwards and right now I need all the confidence I can get.

It's now or never.

I place the ladder that is covered in paint splotches against the gutter of the roof. Steadying it so it won't fall over while I'm in the midst of climbing. I could just use the front door, but then again this is a little tradition Autumn and I have. Plus I don't want to speak to her dad; afraid that I will lose my nerve.

I'm about to climb in through her open window, but stop in my tracks when I hear another voice. It's her mom.

I stay quiet because I don't want to ruin their reunion.

"You expect me to trust you after you disappeared for more than half my life?" Autumn's voice is clear, strong, like she has no plan of backing down.

"I know it's hard, but your grandfather is a liar. His story about coming to fetch you is utter bullshit."

I don't like that I'm eavesdropping but I also don't want to be in there with them, afraid that I will get dragged into their fight. And I don't plan on leaving because I have my own words to share with Autumn.

"You can't cross the barrier because half of you is mortal, a human. He may be right about you crossing the barrier on your eighteenth birthday because then you become a full Fairy, but that doesn't mean you can trust him." Mrs Reed says.

"I have no reason not to trust him. He was right about my bond with Jade, it's growing weaker."

At the mention of my name, I'm more alert; focusing more on their discussion, if that's possible.

"Autumn, he is choosing which information to disclose to you, one or two things might be true, but you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt. Don't think for one second that he won't kill you when he finds out your Kindred is female."

I inhale sharply. He'd actually kill her just because she's a lesbian.

I don't hear a reply from Autumn and that makes me nervous. I take this as an opportunity to climb through the window.

"Told you Jade was outside," Autumn folds her arms over her chest. Her ears return to their normal round shape.

"Look Autumn, everything I've done this far is to protect you from him. I wanted to be with you as you grew up, taken you shopping, even have the God awful sex talk with you, but your grandfather is an evil Fairy. Valuing his reputation above all else. He is ashamed that I married a mortal, ashamed by the fact that I have a Lutin daughter and he will be so ashamed of you enough to kill you." Mrs Reed continues as if I'm not even there.