Chapter Ten: Lutin

Jade's P.O.V

They're real, they are actually real. As real as I am or any other person on this planet. On some level I believed they were; I mean my mom wouldn't have sent me to that fancy school in London if they weren't. But actually seeing one; my brain just can't wrap itself around the fact there are creatures living among us that have wings and unusual colored eyes.

Beautiful creatures.

Thinking Autumn was gorgeous before, I couldn't have been more wrong. She is heavenly stunning as a Fairy. Even if Autumn wasn't my first love, I would never be able to do what I was trained to do. I'm just not that kind of person. I'm still trying to figure out why we are fighting a war that started millenniums ago.

I've already waited two days, avoiding Autumn for the obvious reasons and everyone else out of fear of blabbing my big mouth. Funny enough my mom has been covering for me, no questions asked. She's directed Autumn away a few times and told everyone else that I wasn't feeling too well when I refused to leave my room. It makes me wonder if it's because she thinks my phase is coming to an end or if she knows what Autumn really is. And that makes me wonder why we came back here? Does she really expect me to hurt my first girlfriend? That is just some sick and twisted, fucked up shit if you ask me.

I groan out of frustration; all these questions and no answers.

Staying away from Autumn is harder than any other time before. It's harder than moving away and wondering if I'd ever see her again because this time she is a walk away. I can't help feeling like I should be near her. Like my physical distance is actually a bad thing. I've only started feeling like this when she showed me what she was. I've always felt drawn to her but this time the need to be near her is stronger. I won't be surprised if I sleepwalk my way over to her house.

I know sitting here and waiting for answers to fall in my lap isn't much of a plan. But what else can I do? Asking my mom will only raise her suspicion. She might know that Autumn is a Fairy but then again she might not. I can't tell Ace because I'm not sure if he'll count as a Fairy Hunter once our parents get married. And I most definitely can't tell Autumn because I'm expected to kill her.

I hear footsteps shuffle on the roof outside my window and I already know who it is. I double check just to make sure the window is still locked.

"I know you're in there," she says. I climb on my desk and cross my legs, leaning my back against the wall right next to the window.

"I can hear you breathe, you're heart beating. Hell I can even hear it when you blink," there is a long pause, "please Jade, I miss you," her voice sounds weak, broken. I contemplate opening the window even though I know that thought shouldn't even be crossing my mind. I wipe away at my tears.

I stay next to the window long after Autumn is gone. It pains me to know that the time she spends outside is getting shorter and shorter. It's her way of subconsciously telling me that she isn't going to wait for me forever.

I can just imagine how much this is hurting her. Right before she showed me what she was I said I would never look at her any differently, never think of her differently, but I straight out kicked her out and I know Autumn; she is going to think it's because she showed me she is a Fairy.

But at least her secret wasn't a danger to me.

I wipe my nose with my sleeve. My eyelids feel heavy and I only fight the sleep long enough so I can make it to my bed.

♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀

I bolt upright and grab a hold of my chest. My heart is beating so fast that I consider the possibility that I might be having a heart attack. Either I have a vivid imagination or I just shared Autumn's dream. And not just shared as in I was a bystander, shared as in I could feel and see everything the way Autumn did. Or at least that is what it feels like.