Chapter Two: Not so observant after all

Jade's P.O.V.

I'm sitting in the middle of my new room surrounded by a mountain of boxes that I wish were already unpacked. Reluctantly I pull the first box closer and open it. Mostly I'm hoping that by keeping busy I can keep my mind off her. But seeing Autumn again for the first time in a year had a bigger impact on me than I expected.

I pull another box closer and take out my Trainers. Going for a run sounds like the best idea I've had all day. I get up, leaving everything else as is.

I slide my iPod in its pouch and strap it around my arm. I turn the volume up at full blast. Before officially starting my run I stretch some. I set an even pace so I don't tire out too soon. I've only recently taken up running. It was a requirement at my old school. I fought them on it right up until the end of the year only to find out that I actually enjoy it.

For a moment the hole in my chest is replaced by a fire. My lungs burn with the rest of my muscles and I enjoy the slight numbness the physical pain causes over the emotional.

My heart beat picks up with each stride, warming the blood flowing through my veins. Every step I take is perfectly smooth. The rows of trees that occupy the other side of the street fill the air with an earthy freshness. I turn around after a mile in. I doubt I'll make it home if I run any further. Like I said, running is still a little new to me.

In my peripheral vision I notice something grey move around on a roof. I stop. I put off my iPod and wrap my earphones around it before shoving it into my pocket. I take in deep breaths to savor the runner's high. I'm tall enough to look over the fence if I stand on my toes. On the roof is Autumn. She is absolutely breath-taking. So beautiful that I can't help myself; I tighten my grip on the top of the fence and jump over. I hide behind the big, thick, trunk of the only tree in this massive yard. I feel like a stalker but I don't care.

Autumn hugs her knees to her chest and stares at the moon like she is lost in her thoughts.

A large grey coat is draped over her shoulders. Her hair falling down in waves past her shoulders.

I'm a little taken by the crescent moon myself that it's hard not to get caught up in the moment. I place my hand on a branch just above my head. It causes some of the leaves to rustle. Afraid that Autumn might have heard, I watch her like a hawk while I start giving baby steps backwards. She seems unfazed. I'll be the school's biggest creep if I get caught. It's bad enough being the new / old student. A twig snaps under my foot.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

Autumn tugs on her coat, wrapping it tighter around her. Looking in the general area where the sound came from. My blood runs cold as I wait with bated breath for something to happen.

"Hey," she shouts, standing up. Fuck, I think she saw me. I jump over the fence before she can recognize me. I know I should run but I don't. I find a gap in the fence and watch for her next move. Autumn goes back through the open window on the roof. She stands in front of it; her eyes are still hooked on the tree. When she finally closes the curtains, I lean my back against the dusty wood and sigh a breath of relief.

♀♀♀♀♀♀♀♀

When I enter the cafeteria my eyes automatically scan the room for Autumn. I skip the food line because the meatloaf isn't exactly what I consider eatable. On my way to the only empty table left, a guy with blonde hair and green eyes pulls out a chair for me. I can tell by his young face that he is a freshman, that and the fact that I don't recognize him. I force a smile and decline his offer. I sit down and finally see her. She's been staring at me, I know because when our eyes meet she looks away, quickly. It's harder for me to pull my gaze from her though.