Caroline (short story by her)

Caroline sat down, her face in her hands. Tears were streaming down her face, landing in her lap. She shook with sobs, unable to stop. She felt absolutely horrible. She left him, with no goodbye, no reason, no “I’m sorry”, nothing. And it killed her. It really, truly did. Dami was stuck in her head, how they had been married for so long, how they had two beautiful children, which one was right next to her. Zach had an arm around her shoulder, wanting to try and comfort her, but he didn’t know what to do. 

He usually wouldn't care, wouldn’t try to comfort, but this was his mother, balling her eyes out. Caroline slowly moved her hands and looked up, but everything was blurry, the tears covering her vision. Her breathing was shaky, her body was visibly shaking, and her face was so pale. The makeup on her face had smudged and ran down her cheeks with her tears. She looked like an honest wreck. But it wasn’t like she cared. The one and only thing on her mind as him…and it hurt. Her heart ached.

Footsteps were heard outside the room, causing Zach to slowly stand up. The door slowly opened, her bother quietly walking in. He shut the door behind him and looked Zach. “Zach, you should go... I need to talk to your mom...” He nodded before leaving. Seeing Damien finally, Caroline held back sobs and bit her lip. Damien sat down and sighed. “I know it hurts. We’re all hurting Caroline-“ “Not like me! Only you hurt like me!” She started sobbing again. “I want to go back to him!!!” “Well you can’t Caroline! And you know that!!” He growled, causing her to stop and stand up. She growled and glared at him, her crimson eyes turning black. She roughly backhanded him. “Do NOT growl at me. Especially when I feel like this!” She ran a hand through her hair.

“It’s not fair! Why?! Why did we have to leave?!” Damien stood up and frowned, pulling his sister into a tight hug. “…I don’t know, if I did I would tell you. But dad called for us, and we couldn’t just disobey him… no matter how badly we wanted to.” He closed his eyes. “I hate him.. Why can’t he just let us be happy and do what we want? It’s not like we’re kids anymore…” “And it’s not like we’re the same as we used to be… no one ever stays the same…” Caroline murmured softly, finishing his thought. Damien nodded slightly. “We’ve matured.. we’ve gotten smarter-“ “Yet dumber..” “It’s just what happens…”

“So why can’t he understand it?” “Because he has this picture of us.. this picture of us that still has us as little kids..” Caroline slowly pulled away. “I wish I could burn that picture.” Damien looked at her, a serious expression on both of their faces. “Same. Now come on, you need to clean your face.” Caroline nodded, turning around and quietly walking to the bathroom. Damien sat down and let a tear or two roll down his cheeks. ‘Is this it? Is this the last time we ever get to see them? It can’t.. seeing Caroline like this is to much to bear… I wish I could do something… but I can’t..’ (~Fin~)