Chapter Eight

The next day Hook woke up with his head pounding. Yet he was oddly comfortable, and the warmth surrounded him. He groaned, content, he hadn't felt so relaxed since he slept on the couch.

He suddenly became rigid. Couch. Couch. Why wasn't he on the couch?

Suddenly light fled into the room and a fake bright voice greeted him out of his sleep.

"Good morning Captain!"

"Damn you!" he growled, throwing the covers over his head, "Shut the curtains!"

"Not feeling too well Captain?" she asked sweetly, "That's too bad."

He finally sat up, his eyes rimmed red, "Close the curtains!"

She gave him a crooked smile and shut the curtains in a way that made him feel like he hadn't actually won the argument.

"Better Captain?"

He growled, "What am I doing in bed?"

"Sleeping," she answered simply.

"Where did you sleep?"

"Couch," she said waving her hand dismissing the idea, "Do you want me to help you dress again, or shall I call in Smee?"

He paused for a moment before giving her a strange look, "The door is locked."

A sudden smile flashed across her face and then disappeared as quickly as it could, but not quick enough. Hook checked himself and realized the key was missing.

"I didn't leave the ship," she said defensively as his eyes look at her in anger.

Before Hook could reply, Smee was strolling in humming a happy tune, "Good morning Miss Wendy, good morning Captain."

"Smee, please tell your dear Captain I have done nothing wrong with his precious key."

Smee looked uncomfortable but nodded, "Honestly Captain, she did nothing wrong with the key."

"The key is not yours to have!" Hook shouted.

"And I am not yours to take! I have parents! I had a… a…" her face went blank and then filled with worry, "I had something! Smee what did I have back home?"

He shrugged and gave her a worried look.

Her eyebrows met in uncertainty, "I can't remember at the moment…"

Hook's eyes widened, and an evil smile slowly tugged at the corners of his mouth. Neverland was finally working its magic on Wendy's memory. Eventually life on the ship is all she will ever know. He is all she will ever know. The thought of that cheered him up immeasurably and with a laugh that hurt his head, he stepped out of bed.

"Smee, help me with my things! Miss Darling, you may take a walk outside on deck, prepare yourself for a sword fight you'll never forget."

Wendy's eyes widened as Hook's sword blade came crashing down upon hers and knocking it out of her hands.

"Pick it up!" he barked.